should I buy this

Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 AM

That is a nice looking machine! My question is - WHY would anyone put a huge price sticker right on that beautiful finish? Sorry - pet peeve of mine. Please let us know how the machine turns out!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

If you get it working, I bet it will be an awesome machine.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by GheckoAZ View Post
Thanks, Joe.
I will be ordering that plate and I also found the tension spring to replace the one the one that is out of shape. I just need to figure out if I have all the parts. I only have one disk and according to the pictures of a Singer 15 it looks like I may need the beehive shaped spring. The motor runs beautifully but there is no way to regulate it as I think I need to plug the motor and light into a box or something then into a foot pedal. It may take a while but I'll keep working on it.
GheckoAZ,

You're missing the cord block.
Sew-Classic has that too. Look under "Cords" section on the left, then under "Universal Cords and Wire". It's the middle one in the top row, Cord Set Block Style ( 700,143).
They also have the bee hive spring and yes you do need two disks for the tension.
Go here: { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ } for detailed instructions on how to repair the tensions on your machine. This site is mostly concerned with Singers but your clone is so close the instructions are good for it too.
Oh, and the thread check spring is this one: { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Tens...s-SCT55645.htm }

A comment on the prices people pay for machines. That machine probably cost over 200 dollars new. Even after all the bits and pieces you'll need you won't come close to that. You'll have a machine capable of any normal sewing task that will last longer than you. Far better than the plastic junque they sell today.
Those that buy machines to flip them (sell) always want to low ball them. More profit that way.

If you need more help with that tension, PM me. I've overhauled several of them on clones. They are not hard, but are a bit picky on how they are set up.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-10-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM

One more comment: The Machine in my avatar pic is my HOTHER. It was my mothers and she had had it for so long I can remember it all the way back to my childhood. And I'm 60 years old. It stills sews beautifully. And although I had to replace the motor because the brush caps disintegrated, and I recovered and fixed the case, the machine is otherwise as my mom left off with it nearly 30s years ago when she bought a "newer" Kenmore ZZ machine in a cabinet. Seriously I haven't even cleaned it. Just oiled it up and still use it.

The clones are worth the effort.

Joe
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
It was my mothers and she had had it for so long I can remember it all the way back to my childhood. ... Seriously I haven't even cleaned it. Just oiled it up and still use it.Joe
That is soo cool Joe! I love to hear about folks keeping and using family machines!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Steve,

The funny thing is that machine had a finicky foot controller and it scared the begeebers out of me until recently. Once I figured out how to fix it, it's a nice running machine. My mom had learned to compensate for the controller without even knowing it.

The Kenmore in the cabinet I mentioned is languishing away in a storage shed on my aunts property in Yava, AZ. I soooo want to get it too, but the only way for me to do this is go get it. Alas, I'm 1800 miles from it.

Darn.

Joe
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM

I can't thank you all enough. This is just the information I need.

miriam; Thanks for the manual, that really helped. It looks like I am only missing the one disk and I'll check the guy I bought the feed dogs for my first vintage which was a Touch n' Sew. I also have Mulqueens in Mesa that works on Vintage machines, I need to see them about the Pfaff 130 I picked up.

lovelyl; I got that label off with machine oil. The finish is beautiful there is hardly a scratch on it.

Joe; I so appreciate your encouragement and expertise. I am so enjoying these machines.

There is no dickering when you buy from Goodwill in store and I always give a donation when I buy there, usually only a few cents but when I get a good machine I give a little more. With senior discount I paid 22.46 for the machine and donated 2.54 which came to 25.00. I'm not unhappy with that.

Thanks everyone again,
Pam
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Joe,
Have you looked to see what it would cost to have some one coming back from AZ bring it? Maybe a mover with a load that is not full? Too bad my brother doesn't go to AZ in the wintertime any more, he is bed ridden in Canada so no more traveling. Just a thought, as I know a ot of people from Il go to AZ for wintertime.
Carol
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Carol,

No I haven't. My aunt is 82 years old and a bit paranoid. I doubt she'd let anyone on the place, she has 20 acres I think, she didn't know. My step son is on the property renting from her and has said when he leaves he'll snag the machine and take it with him. But when that might be is the question.

Hopefully it won't be a total loss when I do get it.

Joe