Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-61 Art Deco Cabinet Drawers >

Singer 15-61 Art Deco Cabinet Drawers

Singer 15-61 Art Deco Cabinet Drawers

Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
KLO

Default Singer 15-61 Art Deco Cabinet Drawers

I am hoping someone out there has this cabinet and knows how to remove the drawers on the right side. I am trying to clean the cabinet and so far have not been able to get the drawers out. It looks like there is a metal "stop" of sorts on the metal runner that the drawer slides on but I cannot figure out if and/or how to get it to "unlatch" in order to pull the drawer all the way out.

Here is what the cabinet looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=251473551970

I cannot get my hand under the drawer and gave a half-hearted try with a screwdriver but I stop because I did not want to do any damage. Anyone ever work on one of these cabinets before and know how to disengage the drawer "stop"? Thanks for any help you can give.

KLO
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM

On some of them, there’s a small hole in the bottom of the drawer that a thin object can be inserted into to release the stop.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
On some of them, there’s a small hole in the bottom of the drawer that a thin object can be inserted into to release the stop.

CD in Oklahoma
That's correct. It's like a metal clip that sticks up and you have to depress it pretty firmly down and pull the drawer. I used a small screwdriver.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 AM

p.s. That's Singer's Cabinet No. 42:

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ny/42_cab.html

There were two versions. The earlier version has 3 drawers on the right side with no door and inkwell in left drawer. The later version has a curved door on the right side with two drawers behind it and a sort of shelf on top with spool pins in top left drawer. It's my favorite cabinet.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM

That's on my want list. I have the stool. I think they had the walnut cabinet and I've also seen the stool in a light oak. I haven't seen the matching cabinet yet however.
Rodney
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
That's on my want list. I have the stool. I think they had the walnut cabinet and I've also seen the stool in a light oak. I haven't seen the matching cabinet yet however.
Rodney
too bad you don't live close
Old 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM
KLO

CD and all others, Thanks so much! I did have the drawers with the hole and have now pulled them all out to clean behind. I don't think I would have figured out how to get them out the easy way without you help. I hate to think what damage I could have done!!! I could see the metal clip but could not figure out how to get to it. Well, behind those drawers I found a bunch of straight pins, about 5 machine needles (old and new ones), a small screw driver, a lot of lint and dirt, and some old sewing patterns! Very neat.

NapaJohn, thanks for all the cabinet info. My cabinet is the older one, three drawers on the right and one on the left. I even have the little ink well in that left drawer but no lid.

Rodney, I have the darker walnut cabinet and am on a search for the stool but I will have to be very, very lucky to find one to match this cabinet, I think.

Oh and by the way, my machine is a 15-91 not 61. I cannot figure out why I keep typing the wrong number but I do it a lot. No matter. I do love the machine as it forms a very nice stitch. Cannot wait to try quilting on it although I do have to do a bit of rewiring first as usual for these machines.

Again, thanks to one and all for saving me from damaging my cabinet. So glad I joined the QB. I have learned so much from all of you.

PS: Miriam, I love your little saying at the bottom of your post. Of course, it's not only sewing machines that you shouldn't let know you are in a hurry!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Rodney
Wow lucky you! I have three of these cabinets but can NEVER find the stool!