Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-91-Trials and Rewards >

Singer 15-91-Trials and Rewards

Singer 15-91-Trials and Rewards

Old 02-07-2016, 07:44 AM

Default Singer 15-91-Trials and Rewards

Dear vintage enthusiasts,

I have owned my Singer for a some short months and have enjoyed tinkering with it. There certainly have been trials with my machine, but from them I have learned.

In the beginning it wouldn't hardly sew, but only with a few adjustments it began to sew.

I have tested it on various fabrics (wool, silk, jeans, cotton), and have been pleased with the power it had to go through layers, and delicatcy of the machine on lighter than paper silk.

The stitches were a bit uneven, but I have solved that by tinkering with the upper and bobbin tension, and pressure screw on top of the machine. The bobbin screw is barely tightened, the pressure low, and the upper tension set at 3 when I sew in cotton. When sewing on different fabric I adjust the pressure and tension when necessary.

The feet atachments for this machine excite me! I can't wait to try the other feet.

My next adventures is figuring out how to get the machine to make the correct number of stitches per inch, and figuring out why the bobbin doesn't stay engaged when winding it on the bobbin spindle.

When I messed with the pressure I was able to get 7 stitches per inch when I had the stitch length indicator set on 6. But when I set it on 7 I got 9-10 stitches per inch, when I set it on 8 I measured 11 stitches per inch, and when I set it on 10, it made 15 stitches instead. I think the issue may the feed dogs not working properly.

I gotta say this machine has a beautiful form.

As for the bobbin, I have new vintage 15 bobbins on the way, that resemble one kind in the Singer 15-91 Manuel. If those come unattached when winding on the spindle, I will assume my bobbin winding spindle is worn down, which I happily can replace around $8.

Sure, I have had my trials with this machine, but if I didn't I wouldn't have known these options that may help others, and I wouldn't of learned how to fix up my machine if it encounters these issues again, and I may be able to incorporate these learning experience on other types of vintage machines.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Well it sounds like you are having fun with your machine.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:04 PM

I use the plastic bobbins from Sew-Classic and mine often does not stay engaged either. What I have been doing is just holding my finger against the bobbin until it has completed winding. I tend to think the notch in the bobbin is not quite deep enough and that is why it slips, or it could be the thing on the winder that goes in the notch is worn down. I have tried some of the metal bobbins and have not been pleased w/them so I would be interested to know where you got your bobbins and how they do.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:55 AM

I wind bobbins with an old plastic fantastic from WM. Its not good for much else but why strain my old ladies?

My 15-91 makes a clickity-clickity sound that is louder than the 1941 15 and the 1956 201. I use it mostly for quilting and the occasional denim quilt. Its amazing how well it takes on anything. The metal 15 bobbins from Sew-Classic work best in this and the 15. My wish is to find a way to reduce the sound without affecting anything else.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:53 PM

I got the different vintage 15 bobbins, and they work! Meaning they don't disengage when winding. I am so excited! But now I found they work, I want to help other fix the same problem.
The bobbin in the picture with 1 circular hole is the kind that works.
The bobbin with multiple holes disengages doesn't work.

Note:
My machine is a 1947 15-91 Singer made in the U.S.A. My conclusion is there are different class 15 bobbins, some fitting in some machines, some in others. All I know is the bobbin with 1 circular hole fits my machine, and the class 15 one I have with multiple holes doesn't.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:58 PM

When I say "fit" I mean the notch in the bobbin works on the notch on the bobbin spindle. As you can probably tell from the picture the bobbin with multiple holes has a longer notch then the bobbin with 1 circular hole. The notch on the bobbin with the 1 circular hole is deeper than the bobbin with the multiple holes as well.

Last edited by Margie07; 02-08-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM

I got my 1 hole circular bobbins from eBay. They are vintage and seem to come up on eBay every once in a while.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Thanks for posting those pictures, I can see the difference in the notches and I bet that solid one would work for me too...off to look at Ebay!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures, I can see the difference in the notches and I bet that solid one would work for me too...off to look at Ebay!!!
You're welcome, I really hope it helps you! If you don't see the bobbins now, keep checking. More should come up.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:11 AM

I'm glad you got a "new" machine and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. I love using my 15-91, born in 1939 and still a work horse! I learned to sew on this great machine. My late mom did everything on it -- making clothes (including heavy-duty work pants for my dad), furniture upholstery, custom drapery, anything that needed to be sewn.