View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Margie07

Default Singer 15-91-Trials and Rewards

Dear vintage enthusiasts,

I have owned my Singer for a some short months and have enjoyed tinkering with it. There certainly have been trials with my machine, but from them I have learned.

In the beginning it wouldn't hardly sew, but only with a few adjustments it began to sew.

I have tested it on various fabrics (wool, silk, jeans, cotton), and have been pleased with the power it had to go through layers, and delicatcy of the machine on lighter than paper silk.

The stitches were a bit uneven, but I have solved that by tinkering with the upper and bobbin tension, and pressure screw on top of the machine. The bobbin screw is barely tightened, the pressure low, and the upper tension set at 3 when I sew in cotton. When sewing on different fabric I adjust the pressure and tension when necessary.

The feet atachments for this machine excite me! I can't wait to try the other feet.

My next adventures is figuring out how to get the machine to make the correct number of stitches per inch, and figuring out why the bobbin doesn't stay engaged when winding it on the bobbin spindle.

When I messed with the pressure I was able to get 7 stitches per inch when I had the stitch length indicator set on 6. But when I set it on 7 I got 9-10 stitches per inch, when I set it on 8 I measured 11 stitches per inch, and when I set it on 10, it made 15 stitches instead. I think the issue may the feed dogs not working properly.

I gotta say this machine has a beautiful form.

As for the bobbin, I have new vintage 15 bobbins on the way, that resemble one kind in the Singer 15-91 Manuel. If those come unattached when winding on the spindle, I will assume my bobbin winding spindle is worn down, which I happily can replace around $8.

Sure, I have had my trials with this machine, but if I didn't I wouldn't have known these options that may help others, and I wouldn't of learned how to fix up my machine if it encounters these issues again, and I may be able to incorporate these learning experience on other types of vintage machines.