Singer 201-2 or Singer 15-91

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Default Singer 201-2 or Singer 15-91

if you were to pick between the two machines, a 201-2 and 15-91, which one will you pick and why? just a little quiz. thanks guys.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM

That depends. If I already had a machine that does free motion quilting then I would choose the 201 since it is a beautiful machine for piecing. I adore the 201. However, if I needed the machine to perform free motion quilting, then I would get the 15-91 so that I could piece and free motion.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM

OK, I have both so I'm cheating.

I like the 201-2 far better than the 15-91. So if I had to choose I'd take the 201-2.

~But~ I don't do FMQ. So the larger arch and top loading bobbin of the 201 is much more to my liking.

~But #2~ I might take up FMQ without prior notice, so I'll keep 'em both.

That sure didn't answer your question did it?

OK, I like the larger arch and top loading bobbin on the 201-2.

I dislike the end loading bobbin on the 15-91 as I have larger hands than the folks way back when had when the machines were designed. I find the end loading bobbins of the Singers and other makes to be awkward and clumsy.
I live with it, but when I'm sewing I use the machines with top loading bobbins far more than the end loaders.

Joe
Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
That depends. If I already had a machine that does free motion quilting then I would choose the 201 since it is a beautiful machine for piecing. I adore the 201. However, if I needed the machine to perform free motion quilting, then I would get the 15-91 so that I could piece and free motion.
thanks for the input. granting you have the 201-2, will it be able to do a little bit of free motion quilting ? or not ?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, I have both so I'm cheating.

I like the 201-2 far better than the 15-91. So if I had to choose I'd take the 201-2.

~But~ I don't do FMQ. So the larger arch and top loading bobbin of the 201 is much more to my liking.

~But #2~ I might take up FMQ without prior notice, so I'll keep 'em both.

That sure didn't answer your question did it?

OK, I like the larger arch and top loading bobbin on the 201-2.

I dislike the end loading bobbin on the 15-91 as I have larger hands than the folks way back when had when the machines were designed. I find the end loading bobbins of the Singers and other makes to be awkward and clumsy.
I live with it, but when I'm sewing I use the machines with top loading bobbins far more than the end loaders.

Joe
partly you did. any reply or input is helpful. to ask you also, will 201-2 not be able to do FMQ ? never have experience with both so inputs from people who have used both machines will be much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:37 PM

You can FMQ with a 201, but it preferable by many experienced quilters, to have a vertical bobbin- like the 15 for that. Many quilters don't like drop in bobbins as the tension may be a bit fussier for FMQing. I FMQ a lot, so the 15 is the machine for me. I wouldn't want a 201 because I already own 2 of the 15's ...unless I got one for very little $. If you're mainly piecing or doing general sewing the 201 may be your preference. If you want to add FMqing to your list the 15 would be the best bet.

I would have to say the 15 is the most flexible as a quilter. I would put a 15 on a frame...and the 201 I would not because of the drop in bobbin issue. So, it really depends on what the use of the machine would be..

Last edited by Candace; 12-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post

I would have to say the 15 is the most flexible as a quilter. I would put a 15 on a frame...and the 201 I would not because of the drop in bobbin issue. So, it really depends on what the use of the machine would be..
having said this, then the 15-91 will be the best as it can do both FMQ and piecing, stitching and all. or shall i say could be the jack of all trades. correct me if i am wrong. the reason i am asking is i just want to get the opinion of the members who have tried both machine and wanted to dissect your brains. i googled all about 201 and 15-91 but nothing beats first hand experiences - and it's you guys who got those experiences. appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM

vmaniqui,

I think the only problem with FMQ'ing on the 201-2 is the horizontal bobbin.

The tension issue comes from the thread path. The top loading bobbin machines such as the 201, 66, 99 and others requires the thread to take a 90° turn, follow around the bobbin case, then take another 90° back up. For normal sewing this is not a problem, but I've read many times it does for FMQ'ing.

The end loading bobbin machines have a straighter thread path. Down, around the bobbin case, then back up. No turns. Supposedly this keeps the tension more consistent.

Also I've read that lifting up a big heavy quilt to lift slide the slide plate and change a top loading bobbin is more difficult than lifting up a big heavy quilt to slide the slide plate and change an end loading bobbin. Honestly though I can't see the difference.

Joe
Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
having said this, then the 15-91 will be the best as it can do both FMQ and piecing, stitching and all. or shall i say could be the jack of all trades. correct me if i am wrong. the reason i am asking is i just want to get the opinion of the members who have tried both machine and wanted to dissect your brains. i googled all about 201 and 15-91 but nothing beats first hand experiences - and it's you guys who got those experiences. appreciate it.
Do know someone who has both machines or at least someone that owns one of each near you that you could play with? I think you should try to buy both:> But, some swear their 201's are more heavy duty so, if you need to do more of that kind of work then you'll have to weigh the different needs. What do you need the machine to do? What must it do? What would you prefer it do? All are questions you should ask yourself. I catch and release machines quite frequently that don't match my needs.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

There are things I like about either machine so it is a hard choice to only have one of them. The 15 is easier to clean out a thread nest in the bobbin area. Either one is a powerful machine. Either one does great stitches and are well made. Being someone who sets up two machines to sew - just get one of each... The bobbins don't interchange but the attachments do. If you have another machine choose the one that the bobbins interchange. The 15 uses class 15 bobbins and the 201 uses class 66 bobbins.