Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer 221 help! Throat plate

Unhappy Singer 221 help! Throat plate

Hi I am wondering if anyone can advise me. I was sewing on my little jewel today when it jammed up on me. I first dremoved the bobbin. The hand wheel froze. The needle broke and seemed jammed in the feed. I them removed the throat plate. Found thread in the bobbin case which was difficult to remove.
    With the bobbin removed and throat plate it runs. As soon as I replace the bobbin and throat plate it will not move. The finger position on bobbin case is centered correctly but when trying to move wheel it for es throat plate to move out of position because finger hits the underside of the throat plate. I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Name:  november 10, 2012 004.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  130.1 KB
    The finger of the shuttle has to go in the groove of the plate
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Miriam thank you. I have done this but as soon as I turn the wheel it hits the side of the piece where you see the screw and will not move.

Blog Entries
    Is some microscopic thread or a piece of needle still jammed in there? Are the screws in the top of the throat plate in tight enough?
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

carole,

Just to be sure everyone is on the same page, I drew a circle around the finger of the shuttle and placement miriam is speaking about.

When you take off the throat plate, the finger slides out of position. When you re-install the throat plate you have to make sure the finger is between those two notches on the throat plate. Also, make sure the throat plate is seated correctly (flush with the top of the bed of the machine) otherwise the shuttle finger can slip out of place.

Name:  shuttle_placement2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  413.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image   
    Last edited by Mom3; 02-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pics...I wanted to replace my throat plate for a marked one with the seam allowances but had hesitated because of not know what to do...had heard FW were slightly different in that regard!

Blog Entries
    BTW the pic is of a 301 but it all works the same - thanks for the circle - it is in the exact place!

Hello Miriam, Still no joy here. I have the bobbin placed exactly as your picture shows. when I screw down the throat plate the hand wheel will not move. When there is no bobbin or throat plate everything moves. Thanks for your help.
    on a happier note I was able to do free motion quilting on my Singer 15-91 dated 1935 , which i bought at a garage sale for $18.00 cabinet and all. I may have to take my FW in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by carole315 View Post
    Hello Miriam, Still no joy here. I have the bobbin placed exactly as your picture shows. when I screw down the throat plate the hand wheel will not move. When there is no bobbin or throat plate everything moves. Thanks for your help.
    on a happier note I was able to do free motion quilting on my Singer 15-91 dated 1935 , which i bought at a garage sale for $18.00 cabinet and all. I may have to take my FW in for service.
    carole,

Can you post a picture of your machine with the same view as miriam posted?

If it is locked when the needleplate is on, there is probably a thread jammed behind the bobbincase base preventing it from moving. The bobbincase base is the unit with the post that the bobbibcase attaches to. The instructions for removing the BC base are here: http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...Service17.html

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by carole315 View Post
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast