Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 301 vs 301A

Blog Entries
    Im sorry if this is in the wrong place. I didn't know how to put it in the Vintage sewing machine section.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference iin the 301 and the 301A?

I just picked up my first vintage machine today! It is a 1951 Singer 301 black machine in a cabinet. She does look 'used' but I guess that's not really a bad thing :). I'm not quite in love yet, but with more oil I am getting there :lol:

Anyway, most of the those I've seen or read about on here have the "a" and mine dont so i'm wondering what ther difference is.

TIA!

There is no difference. "A" is said to have denoted the Anderson plant. :)

Correct no diff...you can goggle singer sewing machine 301 versus 301A...There's info on the web abt any and every machine Singer ever made...amazing...

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! Lucky u!!

Blog Entries
    Take the top off and clean and oil in there - no oil in the grease areas. You can use Singer lubricant for those. It's at your LQS. Take out the bobbin case and inspect the area with a flashlight. Compact machines don't have room for even a tiny thread snip out of place. My feeddogs were packed with nasty black lint. I took them off. When you do, be sure the little hook for the bobbin is in the right place when you put them back in. Take off the bottom, oil the moving parts and lubricate the gears. I printed a free owner's manual from a website. If you one the cleaning procedure is in there.

I clean and oil AnnieRose often. She seems to need it more than my slightly newer machine. The more she sews, the better she gets. We don't do a machine any favors not using it.

>>> please ignore this post! I misunderstood completely and have now been set straight!

thanks for the tip about cleaning the feed dogs. I just got a 301 and tomorrow I start cleaning her up. I've been reading all over about cleaning. There's a lot of info on this board and on the internet, as has been pointed out.

Congrats!

Blog Entries
    [quote=irishrose]Take the top off and clean and oil in there - no oil in the grease areas. You can use Singer lubricant for those. It's at your LQS. Take out the bobbin case and inspect the area with a flashlight. Compact machines don't have room for even a tiny thread snip out of place. My feeddogs were packed with nasty black lint. I took them off. When you do, be sure the little hook for the bobbin is in the right place when you put them back in. Take off the bottom, oil the moving parts and lubricate the gears. I printed a free owner's manual from a website. If you have one the cleaning procedure is in there.

Oh, oh, I just reread my post. I did NOT, NOT, NOT remove the feed dogs. I removed the cover over them from the top. It's the cover that needs to be put back just like it came off. I would not remove the feed dogs!!! :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I just picked up my first vintage machine today! It is a 1951 Singer 301 black machine in a cabinet. She does look 'used' but I guess that's not really a bad thing :). I'm not quite in love yet, but with more oil I am getting there :lol:
    TIA!
    Congratulations on your first vintage machine!! I have several 301's...1 black one, 2 mocha's and 4 two tones.

Did anyone warn you that you won't be able to stop at just one...hahaha! It's a very serious sickness that affects anyone who buys a sewing machine made during the 1960's or earlier :mrgreen: You will soon be smuggling sewing machines into your house, hoping that no one notices "just one more"!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I think you WILL be in love with her in no time at all. :-P Don't let her 'used' looks fool you. I don't have a 301 but would like to get one.