Singer 306 needle off center

Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Default Singer 306 needle off center

Has anyone here ever center a needle on a 306 front to back? Mine isn't hitting, BUT it's very very close to the back edge and I would prefer a bit more space. I've been searching both the owners and the service manual but haven't found anything on that particular adjustment.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I've been searching both the owners and the service manual but haven't found anything on that particular adjustment.
Christy, I'm looking at page 9 of the service manual and it clearly explains that to adjust the hook point, read instructions on p.41
It sounds like your needle is too far from the hook when it passes if it's almost hitting the back.

Am I misunderstanding the problem?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Be sure the needle is in right... I had to center one a 401 after someone jimmied it up with upholstery fabric but I don't know about the 306 and I just don't remember how I did it except it was above the needle... dementia? Is there anything about it in the adjuster's manual? You might try practicing how to center a needle on a junk machine... I LOVE junkers........... I also wonder if Mike might be right did someone try to adjust it below so that it would take normal needles?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM

I am using the 206x13 needle and have it correctly with the flat to the back.I've thoroughly cleaned the needle bar and clamp. I am able to get stitches. It's not a matter of hitting the hook, but it is dangerously close to the back edge of the needle plate.

Mike, it wouldn't be a matter of adjusting the underneath, but a matter of finding an adjustment in the needlebar. I might just have to live with it, but I am tempted to wear safety goggles when I use it!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:02 AM

I just ran a cotton wrapped toothpick around the base where the needleplate rests and got a tad more gunk. Maybe the plate will rest back a frogs hair farther.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I just ran a cotton wrapped toothpick around the base where the needleplate rests and got a tad more gunk. Maybe the plate will rest back a frogs hair farther.
Unusual problem.
If the needle has moved back, your machine should be skipping stitches because the needle would be too far from the hook to pick up the bobbin thread.