Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 306 at thrift store >

Singer 306 at thrift store

Singer 306 at thrift store

Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Kas

I saw a black Singer 306 at a thrift store today. It was in a cabinet with a knee control and another foot control. No attachments and no presser foot, but it did have a bobbin and a bobbin case and the original manual. Smelled musty and there were spots of mildew on the machine and inside the cabinet. They were asking $40 for it and there is a half price sale on Saturday. Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I saw a black Singer 306 at a thrift store today. It was in a cabinet with a knee control and another foot control. No attachments and no presser foot, but it did have a bobbin and a bobbin case and the original manual. Smelled musty and there were spots of mildew on the machine and inside the cabinet. They were asking $40 for it and there is a half price sale on Saturday. Any thoughts?
I'd wait until Saturday.

my store never had half price days or senior days.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 PM

I don't know much about the 306 but I would definitely wait until half price day. Be careful with the mold...don't take it into your house until it is cleaned. And wear gloves and a mask when you do clean it. Mold can make you very sick. Just my piece of advice. The musty order can be fixed by leaving it in the sun if you can. Also check Billy's tutorials on how to clean it. His board name is Lostn51.

HTH
Old 09-16-2011, 03:27 AM

grab and run!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 AM

I hesitate to buy anything that has mold or visible mildew that is mechanical (from experience). Check the underside of the machine for rust, and the bobbin casing. Feel the bobbin casing for unevenness, pitting from dampness can drive the stitching length insane. If you have an area that you can bleach out the mold in the wood, and the machine has no rust, then $20 is a little investment. But do not bring it into your house, mold spores are like fruit flies looking for fruit.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 AM

I personally would not buy a 306 (or a 206 or a 319) because it takes a 206 x 13 needle and those are only available in two sizes. You can find new old stock in more sizes, but they'll probably be very expensive if you do.

I have almost 30 sewing machines and they all take the same needle except my one industrial machine. (and it takes needles that are easy to find in a large size range)

Some people claim that you can time them to accept the standard needle but other people who actually know what they're doing can give you several good reasons for not attempting this little modification.

I've seen some 306's and 319's in my area and the 319's are interesting machines - but I pass on them because of the needle issue. :)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 AM

I have two 319's which are very similar to the 306. They are true workhorses!! As the for the needle issue, they're readily available online. True, you can't run out to a big box store and buy them, but if you stock up on them online, you're good to go. I'd buy the 306 in a heart beat!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Kas

Default testing - new thread

Oooohh. I am so tempted! My DH might have a heart attack if I bring home another orphan! I have never seen one of these in person and I won't be able to test it without power, a needle and a presser foot! I might just have to pass. It is very hard for me to do. I want to save all the cool old machines I see. Need one of each!