singer 328k

Old 11-11-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I have a 328k.
If the funky foot you have came with the machine it should say on it somewhere what it's for. I have a bunch and they all say "Singer" and "Hemmer" or "Ruffle" on the foot itself.
My attachments for my 301 have the word Singer on all of them, but nothing about for what they are used. The ruffler is quite a complicated looking attachment. Mine has the number 161561 on it above the SINGER. Beneath that there is a word that is half covered by a metal piece. What I can see is CTPPIT, or is it STRRIT? Don't understand that.
There is a hemmer in there that says 160626 - SIMANCO - U S A. The bias tape maker says SINGER - U S A - 160624.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
My attachments for my 301 have the word Singer on all of them, but nothing about for what they are used. The ruffler is quite a complicated looking attachment. Mine has the number 161561 on it above the SINGER. Beneath that there is a word that is half covered by a metal piece. What I can see is CTPPIT, or is it STRRIT? Don't understand that.
There is a hemmer in there that says 160626 - SIMANCO - U S A. The bias tape maker says SINGER - U S A - 160624.
Tried to add this to the last post, but got timed out.
I just realized that the ruffler I am using did not come with the machine. The original ruffler says: SINGER - U S A -160629. I completely wore out that one. With four daughters and square dance dresses, it got used a lot.
Then a friend in Texas sent me one: 161561 SIMANCO GT BRIT. It was broken also, not not as badly as mine. Then she sent me another:: 161561 SINGER CTPPIT (or is it STRRIT?) the word at the bottom is half covered by a metal piece of the ruffler. Don't understand it.
None of them say "Ruffler".
All three rufflers work on my 301, but two of them have the blue steel pusher foot broken.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Mavita,

I've never seen a Singer attachment or accessory that is marked with it's name, such as Ruffler or Hemmer. Greist did mark most of theirs.

To keep your Ruffler running it needs to be oiled regularly. There is actually maintenance instructions in the manual for that.

Singer, Simanco ( Singer Manufacturing Company ) are both names used by Singer for their products. Simanco is the older name followed by Singer.
What the CTPPIT (or is it STRRIT?) is I don't know.

Joe
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
cjr

I have my Mom's 328. It is a strong machine with a nice stitch. Fairly low maintence. Likes to be clean & oiled regularly. Mine sews quietly
Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Mavita,

I've never seen a Singer attachment or accessory that is marked with it's name, such as Ruffler or Hemmer. Greist did mark most of theirs.

To keep your Ruffler running it needs to be oiled regularly. There is actually maintenance instructions in the manual for that.

Singer, Simanco ( Singer Manufacturing Company ) are both names used by Singer for their products. Simanco is the older name followed by Singer.
What the CTPPIT (or is it STRRIT?) is I don't know.

Joe
when I get home later today I will are if I can get a picture that shows my attachments that say on them what they are for.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 PM

I looked through the attachments that were with my 2 vintage machines. There are duplicates or triplicates of most. The ones that say what they are for are not Singer, as J Miller said but are Greist brand. The Singer parts just have the S logo. Here is a picture of a Greist and Singer Ruffler side by side. Hopefully you can read the writing on them.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:24 PM

And a closeup of the Greist that says "Ruffler" on it.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I have a Singer 328K got it in November 1963 new. I probably put about a million miles on it when I was sewing clothes for me, kids and dolls. I don't use it now, unless I need to sew something heavy. It is a good machine and still works great.
I really prefer the new machines for quilting and piecing. It came with a ruffler and a gatherer. I have all the cams and feet that came with it, the manual too.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
.....Then a friend in Texas sent me one: 161561 SIMANCO GT BRIT. It was broken also, not not as badly as mine. Then she sent me another:: 161561 SINGER CTPPIT (or is it STRRIT?) the word at the bottom is half covered by a metal piece of the ruffler. Don't understand it.....
I think both rufflers say the same thing. The second one just had a weak or worn out stamp. C=G, PP or RR=BR. A weak stamp may not have transferred the bottom of the letters correctly.
Rodney
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I think both rufflers say the same thing. The second one just had a weak or worn out stamp. C=G, PP or RR=BR. A weak stamp may not have transferred the bottom of the letters correctly.
Rodney
The letters are well stamped and they are under there. The piece of metal is covering them. And yes, GT BRIT makes a lot of sense. Sure, now that I look at it, I can see the top half of GT BRIT.

And Joe, the part that is broken does not get oiled. It is the blue steel piece that actually pushes the fabric into the needle to make the pleat. One ruffler has that foot half broken off and the other has the blue steel piece broken that holds the arm in place. Perhaps that could have used it little oil.