Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 401 internal cam stack ? >

Singer 401 internal cam stack ?

Singer 401 internal cam stack ?

Old 03-20-2015, 06:01 PM

Default Singer 401 internal cam stack ?

Confession time...I took apart my "new" 401 to clean and oil it...then got interrupted. The internal metal cams I had laid out in order, however it was several months later and I think I laid the cams out with the top thinga majiggy, then the cams following in order below, but I ran out of space and those cams circled around a bit. I know now to take a picture of it for reassembly purposes.

I looked online for a 401 repair manual, however the cam stack order wasn't shown in what I found. Can someone tell me if the order is 0 to 7 (bottom to top) or 7 to 0 (bottom to top)? Well, I think there are 7. Maybe there are 6. I have them all.

I could assemble and try it, but I don't want to muff up a good machine. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:02 PM

Well, there isn't a need to take the cam stack apart. It can be cleaned while assembled.

Without a manual or notes all I can say is trial and error.

Sorry, not much help I know.

Joe
Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 PM

WIChix, I lost my nerve when I got to the cam stack -- my Waterloo was the two stitch selector levers/posts next to the cam stack. I did finally get those loosened and working. However, I did prowl everywhere for a service manual, maybe I can find something for you.

Here is a link to the service manual. There are adjustments to the cam stack area on around page 138+ and then "Removals and Replacements" of the cam stack begins on page 158.

You might also find some help on the Facebook groups "Vintage Sewing Machines" and "Vintage Slant Singer Sewing Machines." People on both lists have had a lot of experience with 401's.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 AM

The thing about the cam stacks is they do not require disassembly to clean. I'm hoping you find a manual that gives the correct order for the cams. I have a service manual but I don't remember seeing anything like that. Joe
Old 03-21-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

My 401 was easy to work on since the previous owner took excellent care/maintenance. I just went to the Videos on the 401 along with my manual that luckily came with it. Sometimes in depth multiple manuals can be overwhelming and thence nothing is done. The cleaning and maintenance is procrastinated. My machine is working great. I followed the instructions that came with my machine and the videos. I studied them and kept them nearby as I worked on it. I didn't really do anything to the cam stack like disassemble. One part of the linked manual makes it hard due to some of the diagram photos just aren't visible. And it talks about dipping the machine into varsol. Doesn't take a whole lot to loosen up lube. A little lube on lube will help loosen it up. Just be patient. Clean off as much as you can with a stiff (but not wire)brush. I'm not an expert on vintage machines by far, I'm just saying what works for me. Of course I got lucky since the previous owner took great care with her machine. She had to, she was an interior designer who made drapes/curtains and upholstered a lot and made different bed coverings. I could go on and on. But check out the different YouTube videos. Just search the 401. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 AM

Here's a link with a decent photo of the stack. I would try and match it. http://www.burnettecreative.com/2011...e-singer-401a/
Old 03-21-2015, 10:37 AM

Thank you for the help! Between the two links, and the resources, ...I think I can!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 PM

Lori, let us know how it goes!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 AM

How about this?
http://sewingmachinenut.blogspot.ca/...cam-stack.html
Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 AM

Wonderful link. I would have missed the indication about timing, otherwise. Thanks, AA.