Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 99 -- rusted and frozen... HELP! Please??? >

Singer 99 -- rusted and frozen... HELP! Please???

Singer 99 -- rusted and frozen... HELP! Please???

Old 06-04-2015, 02:27 AM

Default Singer 99 -- rusted and frozen... HELP! Please???

My best friend from guild, gave me what she lovingly calls a "boat anchor" --before she met her husband he bought all this old metal stuff with the intention of salvaging the metal. There is/was a sewing machine graveyard in her back yard.

This one was completely frozen. I soaked it I EVAPO-RUST for a number of days, and finally managed to get the "clutch knob" and fly wheel off, but it still won't move.

I have soaked it in SMO in every nook and cranny I could find... both before the evaporust bath and since

Any and all advice will be appreciated
Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 AM

well with out seeing it and knowing how bad we are talking and where exactly it is rusted....I would say take the nose plate off and anything that will come off, deal with those separately. the main sticking point is likely the main shaft ( runs from the hand wheel clear to the needle bar. might try some kerosene, hydraulic oil or something like PB blaster.
soak it down let it sit. tap on the end of the shaft with a rubber mallet ( just a little vibration not trying to bend or force anything) get a old of the main shaft where the handwheel came off and try to wiggle it. even just a smidgen and you are winning. turn it upside down and soak down inside the pillar good and all the metal to metal contact points underneath. I can not imagine that with patience and penetrating oil that you can not win. clean up the exposed parts of the needle bar as best you can... when it starts to move you don't want to drag any additional crud in there .

Slow gentle and clean each time you try... oil and wiggle let set wipe off rust and dirt that may have flushed away... wiggle and flood more oil repeat as needed.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
I have soaked it in SMO in every nook and cranny I could find... both before the Evaporust bath and since
Oh dear. I'm afraid that with Evaporust being water based, it couldn't get through the sewing machine oil you put on before it's bath and most of the rust is still there, and now your Evaporust is full of oil.

Graywuuf has some very good advice. I've always liked the idea of getting parts loose before soaking them in a rust remover because it can only remove the rust they touch, so if rusty machine parts are touching they'll stay rusty where they're touching. Just keep working on the mechanics to get things moving. When you can take it apart, scrub then with detergent and water to get the oil off, then give then a bath in fresh Evaporust. Also scrub out the oil from the tub you're using.

Some pictures would be great! There may be parts that are too corroded to fix so you won't have to be gentle with them because you'll need to replace them anyway. It is rare though. Honestly, I just wanna see it so we can oh and ah at before and after pics when you're done bringing her back from her rusty slumber
Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 AM

here ya go... I was certain I had taken at least one of her when she handed this machine to me...
Attached Thumbnails img_2074.jpg   img_2079.jpg   img_2080.jpg   img_2082.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 06:40 AM

It did not have a faceplate, bobbin cover (already ordered one) and is missing the rest of the pressure foot assembly. The bottom was COMPLETELY covered in rust, so I am seeing progress slowly but ever so surely. I actually may take on some more relics from her "graveyard" lol. She says "My husband knows better now..." I sure hope so, I think if my husband did something like this now, it would mean filing for the "BIG D" lol. My husband actually bought me my first VSM for my birthday this past February (he doesn't know he has created a monster lol)
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Ooooo! She looks a little rough, but should clean up A-OK. And no parts seem to be gonners that I can tell. Just keep at it.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM

here ya go... I was certain I had taken at least one of her when she handed this machine to me...
3-in-1 oil is well known to gum a sewing machine up. I'd avoid using that.
Certainly doesn't look that bad. I'm sure you'll be able to get it working again.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:10 AM

oh! Thanks for that advice manicmike! I will hunt down some of the other products mentioned
Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 AM

My best friend from guild, gave me what she lovingly calls a "boat anchor" --before she met her husband he bought all this old metal stuff with the intention of salvaging the metal. There is/was a sewing machine graveyard in her back yard.

This one was completely frozen. I soaked it I EVAPO-RUST for a number of days, and finally managed to get the "clutch knob" and fly wheel off, but it still won't move.

I have soaked it in SMO in every nook and cranny I could find... both before the evaporust bath and since

Any and all advice will be appreciated
listen to GreyWuff, I have refurbished these old critters and I do it his way.
remove every thing until you only have the main shaft To worry with that way everything else is out of your way. The main shaft is suppose to have a little end play in i. I use a small block of wood and a hammer, place the block of wood on the end of the shaft and tap it with the hammer then go to the other end and do the same until you see the shaft move or you can turn it remember this movement is only about the thickness of a sheet of paper. I have used a vice grip on the end of the shaft to give it a nudge but be carful doing that you can burr the shaft to ovoid this place a rag around the shaft.
once you get the main shaft moving you can address all the parts you have taken off and your in business. Some advise you take good pictures save them so you know where everything goes