Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rusted rotary cutters! >

Rusted rotary cutters!

Rusted rotary cutters!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Today we got a HUGE rainstorm. It lasted for hours. I didn't realize my sewing room window was open and my container of rotary cutters was sitting in the window well along with a bunch of straight pins and safety pins. Two of my rotary cutters have new blades. When I realized the rain was coming in (as in two hours after the rain started), my basket was soaked and my blades were already rusting. I immediately wiped them down with a rag, along with my scissors that were in the basket. I also blotted at the pins. I am worried that my blades are ruined. I am worried that they will leave rust on my fabric, but I am not sure. I hate replacing the new blades. I am going to try them out on some scraps and hope for the best. Will pins rust? Should I just throw them out if they do? Probably no hope for them.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Pins are a lot cheaper to replace than those blades. I say toss the pins and get some shiney new ones.

Speaking of blades.......I use a Fiskar's rotary cutter, and those blades are 3 for 15 bucks. But I found a bargain...At Harbor Frieght of all places. Carpet blades, 45mm ones that fit my Fiskar's, for $1.49 a pack (2 blades). I bought all they had so now I have like 30 blades for 22.00 dollars. They are also sold online at their website if the store is out of stock.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM

I just bought an 18mm and a new 45 mm cutter. They are Olfas. I also had three pairs of nice sewing scissors in the basket. I spent three hours this morning cleaning up my sewing room because my MIL was coming. I didn't even think about where I was placing the basket because I was in a hurry. When the rain started, we had company. It wasn't until after my MIL and FIL left that I realized my mistake. I just had to walk out of the room after I wiped down everything because I was so depressed.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 PM

I have had straight pins rust, or rather oxidize, so I just bought new ones.
If your rotary blades have rusted you might try cleaning them with Naval Jelly (Home Depot) rust remover. They are just too expensive to replace. Good luck.

The irony of it is that you live in Denver which is always sooo dry, you never need to worry about those things. I lived in Highlands Ranch for 8 years, and miss it.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 PM

I would be more concerned if you accidentally cute yourself with a rusty blade than anything. Is it worth the risk? Personnally I would deal with the loss and get new blades.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

What about spraying them with WD40 ?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 PM

Ask Billy or Eddie what they would do.

I think that I would try a gentle soap and water with a non abrasive cleaner. If that worked, then a wipe down with machine oil and put in a clean dry covered container. Of course you would carefully wipe clean before use. Otherwise, toss and start anew.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

How about putting sewing machine oil on the scissors and blades - let everything set for a few hours - and then wipe everything down thoroughly.

Be really careful when handling the blades. Might do the trick.

Cut scrap material for a while to make sure there is no excess oil left on your tools.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Thank you for the advice. I am going to try the machine oil on my scissors because it rusted at the bolt that connects the blades and is stiff. I also am going to use some flitz that my husband uses to polish metal. (His suggestion... with me wearing protective gloves.)
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 AM

Try soaking in Coca-cola. There was quite a post yesterday for a nifty link for all the uses for coke and getting rid of rust was one.