Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Singer Feather Weight: FMQ

Blog Entries
    I have heard of others who fmq on featherweights, but I am not among them. The machine is just too small. I can, however, heartily recommend a Singer 15-91 for fmq. There are others, but you will have best luck with a full size machine.

I fmqed panels for a coin purse... They were probably 5"x5". So I know it can be done for small projects. It's definitely strong enough to do it. That's a powerful little motor back there.

Congratulations on your FW and Happy Birthday - you're going to love yours. I just received my 3rd FW - a gift from my 86 year old mom. I went to Florida for her birthday 2 weeks ago and she told me 'there's something in the closet for you'. I looked in and found that precious little black box with a ribbon and bow on top! I have the best childhood memories (I'm 60) learning to sew on her. I think I shall call her 'Beatrice' for my mom!!

Blog Entries
    There is a video on Youtube that shows FMQ'ing on a FW. Try googling it!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I read somewhere that they aren't recommended for FMQ on anything larger than a tote bag since the motor can overheat. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
    This is not true! I do FMQ all the time with my Featherweights. Won a overall show first place ribbon for my last quilt about 40 x 40 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    YIPPEEE......I rcvd a FW for mee birthday..........I can't wait to lovey dovey up to this precious little gem...
    Can anyone offer words of wisdom on how to set it up for FMQ....like dealing with the feed dogs since they cant be dropped.....I've not a lot of experience with FMQ either.....

Thanks for any quidance.......
    You can use the freedogs or you can cover them. There were covers that were available for purchase when the Featherweights were new. I have one, but usually don't use it.
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    I have several and I wouldn't FM on them they are not made for that.
    I got a feed dog cover in with the other accessories when I got my 1948 Featherweight. They are also several vintage books for sale on the internet about how to use them to do free motion sewing or quilting. Sorry, but you are wrong about that!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Like Monroe, I read that you shouldn't use them for FMQ also.
    Karen in Kentucky

FLQ
    I take mine in our RV. It's perfect size. I agree, FW not so good for fMQ.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Personally I would not consider using a Featherweight for FMQ, not heavy enough and short on surface space. But there a likely others that have. It is the perfect machine for piecing though.
    I don't use mine for FMQ either. It sure sews like a dream, though. Just love it. Almost feel like I'm playing when I use it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast