Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer with gold medallion, art deco >

Singer with gold medallion, art deco

Singer with gold medallion, art deco

Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 AM

Default Singer with gold medallion, art deco

My mother-in-law left me an old Singer, which has no sign of being electric. It has a vaguely Art Deco decoration, serial number: G9096973. Does anyone know what it is, when it was made?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:53 AM

ISMACS could probably probably give you a lot of info on it. I found out a lot about my mother's old 301A and my Rocketeer that my husband gave me there. Which reminds me I haven't looked up the featheweight yet.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
My mother-in-law left me an old Singer, which has no sign of being electric. It has a vaguely Art Deco decoration, serial number: G9096973. Does anyone know what it is, when it was made?
It appears that the machine is a 66 and the serial number was allocated December 6, 1921. Probably similar to the one in this thread - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t283282.html - which has several links about the model 66. There were some other decals used during that time period. About midway down at this link - http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ic-decals.html - you will find some other decals used on the model 66.

Janey, Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 AM

I looked at the ISMACS and found a listing for the serial number, which said that it was from 1910/St. John's, but there was no picture. Thank you Workbench for your listing and link. The machine that someone posted (looking for a slide plate) is exactly what I have, so it's a 1921 Model 66/Red Eye. It's practically frozen, so it needs a lot of TLC. That, and the fact that there is nothing with it other than a needle and a bobbin. Thank you for your information!

Last edited by waltonalice; 11-13-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-13-2016, 07:05 AM

Addendum: I looked a bit more and found that the machine came with a hand crank and could be encased in a wooden case, about 3-4 inches high, with other dimensions being about 4 inches bigger than the machine itself.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Great, there are some handcrank fans on here. Get sewing machine oil and oil everything that moves (or should ).
Old 11-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
I looked at the ISMACS and found a listing for the serial number, which said that it was from 1910/St. John's, but there was no picture. Thank you Workbench for your listing and link. The machine that someone posted (looking for a slide plate) is exactly what I have, so it's a 1921 Model 66/Red Eye. It's practically frozen, so it needs a lot of TLC. That, and the fact that there is nothing with it other than a needle and a bobbin. Thank you for your information!
Just because it looks like someone elses machine doesn't mean it's the same year as theirs. Go by the ISMACS records but be sure you're counting the right number of digits in the serial number. Decal sets were sometimes used for many years, others just a few.

Cari