Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Machines Running Sounds

Blog Entries

Singer Machines Running Sounds

I have several vintage Singer machines and there is quite a bit of difference in their running sounds. My 201 has a very, very quiet sound, my 15-91's are a bit noisier but my 99K seems to have the loundest and somewhat laborious sound. Is the noise difference due to the motors, or have I not oiled them properly. I have followed the manuals in every case for oiling points.

Blackberry,

I've noticed the same things. Those that sound like they are struggling could need oil, or it could be the motor, ~or~ the belt could be too tight.

When I was cleaning and refurbing the Featherweight I got for my wife I put a new cogged belt on it. I had it adjusted where I thought it should be, tightness wise, but when I tried to use it nothing happened but the motor grunting, groaning, and buzzing. It had run fine with the old belt. So I loosened up the belt. I had to loosen it up a lot.
    Once it was looser and the motor could turn it, it felt as you said laborious until I got the belt tension just right. After that it runs just fine.

Joe

I have noticed the same thing, thanks for the advice Joe!!!

I recently compared the noise of two 301's and they sounded very different to me. Both sew great and are oiled. I haven't learned to serivce motors yet, so it could be that one is older and dirtier?

Blog Entries
    If the spousal unit is using one of my machines in another room, I can tell which one it is by the sound of it. They all sound different!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I have a 301A which I bought on E-bay which has a rattling sound but which runs great after it was fully serviced. The tech said it had a broken "fin" and I don't know what that is. He doesn't speak English very well so I'm not even sure what that is, I asked him to look for a replacement part but no response since. Anybody have any ideas?

The "fin" could have been a broken blade on the motor's cooling fan.

Joe

Blog Entries
    That would make sense.

Question Singer Machines Running Sounds

I notice that my Featherweight and my 301 make a noise that sounds like brushes or I want to say bushings? I haven't gotten into the repairing end yet, could someone tell me what that noise means? I am almost afraid to ask, if it means something big! Thanks much...

I use mostly Singer treadles lately, the 201 is my favorite Randy is such a quiet boy, however Kari the 15-90 is much louder in comparison. Both machines are oiled properly and sew great. When properly oiled the 201 is nearly silent.
    Sharon W.