Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer paint question

Singer paint question

Are any of the 'old black Singers' painted, as opposed to Japanned? Other machines that came out in the same era as the Japanned ones were painted, so now I'm wondering about the black ones. Anybody know?
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    I don't know either. I just got a FW with no lacquer on it - I know this because it came powdered and I wiped it off. Anybody know if you can fix missing lacquer? The machine is otherwise in good shape cosmetically.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Some of them have a matt finish, is that what you mean by powdered. Sometimes called krinkle finish. Just though would toss that in for info.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    Some of them have a matt finish, is that what you mean by powdered. Sometimes called krinkle finish. Just though would toss that in for info.
    No it was the lacquer - must have been in some heat - the finish powered and dusted off.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Miriam, the only way to replace the clear coat is with clear coat (paint).

You can use a car wax to protect what is left of the decals, try a non abrasive resin glaze for cars....or you can use Liquid Gold.... I use car wax, it's meant to protect a car's finish from "flying objects", and weather....I think it's tougher than the Liquid Gold.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Liquid Gold has a kerosene-like petroleum base and that would cause laquer not to stick. It would be excellent to get the smokey, oily, brown, coating off though. Mine looked as though it had a 3 pack a day habbit. I finally used Dow Scrubbing bubbles, not pressing on the decals. It worked well and didn't damage anything, but I put it on the cloth, not the machine. I then used "Back to Black" (WalMart) car polish and now it sparkles like a new one. Don't ever spray anything on a machine, only on the cloth to prevent wetting something you can't get dry in the cracks. I hesitate to clear coat them because they really need to be taken apart to do a good job after they were deglazed. Maybe someday. I really enjoy Charlee's posts. She really knows her stuff.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    What is Back to Black - is it a cleaner and a polish or just resin?

Blog Entries
    Back to Black

I haven't tried this one yet...but after reading, maybe I should!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Back to Black

I haven't tried this one yet...but after reading, maybe I should!
    I was looking at Back to Black when I was at Walmart last time. Didn't buy it. Likely should have and will next shopping trip. If it doesn't work on my sewing machines it will work on my truck. The truck is black. Now that I am thinking about my truck, when I bought it I had it coated with some kind of protective paint coating. I will have to do a little research on it. No reason it would not work on sewing machines after their paint has been cleaned.
    Sweet Caroline