Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer stylist machine mod 413 ser#fc709655 >

Singer stylist machine mod 413 ser#fc709655

Singer stylist machine mod 413 ser#fc709655

Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Well, since it won't sew more than one piece of fabric, I'd start by making positive sure you have the correct needle in the machine.
It takes a regular 15x1, and that the needle is in the machine correctly. It goes in Flat to the Back. Then make sure that it's threaded properly, the thread goes in Front to Back.
Of course this is after making sure the bobbin is good and the bobbin area is clean.

Since there was trouble before, with the timing belt it might be advisable to double check the hook timing as well.

Joe
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM

Changed needle and put on different spool of thread. I had a bonifide Singer needle, but decided it was the same size in length as a topstitching needle I had, so I went with that.

Interesting problem, which I think may have something to do with timing. It sews single fabrics just fine, but when I switched to two layers, it wouldn't sew in the center position. However, when I changed the needle position to the left, it finally decided to sew on double layers as well as single. Switched needle to right position, and it wouldn't sew a stitch. So now I have a machine that only sews a double layer when the needle is in the left position.

Anyone have that scenario before?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM

Pat,

I'll bet a Jack-In-The-Box Ultimate Cheese Burger the hook timing is late.

Put the needle in the center position. Visually verify the needle is in the center of the needle plate slot.
Remove the needle plate, bobbin case, bobbin and presser foot.
Remove the face plate and find the scribed timing marks on the needle bar.
Turn the hand wheel till the needle bar is in it's lowest position. You'll see the top timing mark just at the bottom of the bushing.
Turn it some more until the bottom timing mark is at the bottom of the bushing.
Now, look really carefully ...... the point of the hook should be centered behind the needle.

Is it?

Joe
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM

The timing is not a problem, at least not that I can determine. The hook does pick up the thread like it's supposed to. It's what happens after that operation that might shed some light on it. I did solve one problem that might have affected the timing, as well as shredding thread. Upon inspection of the plastic bobbin case, I discovered a couple of scratches, possibly made by a screwdriver, on the outside of the case in the path where the thread would travel around it. My trusty nail file made short work of those, and now it does sew multiple layers even on the center needle position. However, it is still skipping stitches and sews when it wants to.

I'm considering taking it in to the shop anyway for a good cleaning and oiling, and hopefully that will make it work better. Might also need some fine tuning which I don't have the tools for.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ileen View Post
Thanks Joe for all of that imformation now i am going to try. And find the metal bobbin for it.
My Stylist is in this age range. Plastic bobbins.
Sandy
Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
The timing is not a problem, at least not that I can determine. The hook does pick up the thread like it's supposed to. It's what happens after that operation that might shed some light on it. I did solve one problem that might have affected the timing, as well as shredding thread. Upon inspection of the plastic bobbin case, I discovered a couple of scratches, possibly made by a screwdriver, on the outside of the case in the path where the thread would travel around it. My trusty nail file made short work of those, and now it does sew multiple layers even on the center needle position. However, it is still skipping stitches and sews when it wants to.

I'm considering taking it in to the shop anyway for a good cleaning and oiling, and hopefully that will make it work better. Might also need some fine tuning which I don't have the tools for.
The plastic bobbin case is called the Apollo case and they are still available. Since you found it damaged, it will probably need replacing. They are not interchangeable with the steel bobbin cases. Also, the plastic bobbin cases use the plastic bobbins. You can use the metal ones, but they will cause wear to the bobbin case that the correct bobbin cases wont.

Joe
Old 08-29-2015, 07:12 AM

Now if I can remember where that darn cord and foot petal are!

Sabdy
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Now if I can remember where that darn cord and foot petal are!

Sabdy
That is the same machine I have, only mine came with a cabinet. The foot pedal is operated by a knee control. I can remove the foot pedal from the bracket, however, but it's so handy where it is, I'm not touching it.

Hope you get yours working!
Old 08-30-2015, 02:40 AM

We did not buy it in a cabinet. Knee contol was not part of this machine set up. In a cabinet that just presses the foot control. "Portable" was a cool concept at the time! It has served me well. My parents bought this for me when I was in high school. I know that it was a major purchase for them. It meant so much to me that they sacrificed for my passion for sewing. I used this machine for ever until I bought my sew/embroidery Janome 9700 in 2005. This Stylist needs a major oiling, cleaning. I will find the cords when I have the time to look.

sandy
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I used this machine for ever until I bought my sew/embroidery Janome 9700 in 2005.

sandy
That's a long time using that machine! Did you ever have trouble with the upper gear breaking? The upper gear is what controls the bobbin action, and it's made of plastic. It gets brittle over time and cracks. The one in mine had broken twice. We found one online and I replaced it myself, also learned how to set the timing.