Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing! >

Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing!

Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing!

Inherited this machine....before I go crazy cleaning it, I want to be sure it works...came with a box full of cams.
I am pretty sure I have it threaded correctly, and the dials set correctly-I found a manual online with diagrams-but it won't sew. Almost seems like the feed dogs are down, but I don't see any way to engage them if that is the problem. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM

I strongly dislike this machine because of its rubber feed dogs which work poorly when they're old, finicky bobbin-filling system, fragile (after 40 years) plastic gears, and annoying setting adjustments. My suggestion is to save the cams, donate the machine to Goodwill (although that would spread the suffering, wouldn't it?) and take some time to find yourself a 401, 403, 500, 503, or early 600 with metal gears. They can use the cams (the black "top hat" type), they're far better machines and can still be found inexpensively, although they're finally being recognized as the versatile workhorses they are. Note that the "double action" embroidery cams (I believe they're white) from your 700 series will not work on the earlier models. Not much of a loss unless you really, really want to make rows of little duckies.

Last edited by Manalto; 10-13-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Oh, me--my first love for a sewing machine. I still have mine, it works but use a 600 Touch N Sew( a workhorse for sure ) these days. True there were problems with it but it did service me well for so many years. Been some time but we did buy the metal feed dogs-think they were bought from local sewing machine repair shop. DH says to oil-actual soak- everything really well. Give it an honest try before tossing it.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM

As manalto states, the rubber feed dogs do wear out, enough that they stop feeding altogether, so check that.
Once you replace them, they will be good to go for a while.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Since you have it on your hands I would give it a chance and do all the small repairs and fixups. It might not be everybodies favorite vintage model but it's far from the worst out there when it's up an going. Replacing a plastic gear or two isn't necessarily costly or too difficult for a DIY project. The feed dogs are available many places on the web and probably at a local repair shop too. They have quite nice features in the bobbin setup.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Check to make sure the little lever in the bobbin area for filling the bobbin is not engaged. If memory has't failed me, I don't think it sews when that is engaged.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Almost seems like the feed dogs are down, but I don't see any way to engage them if that is the problem. Any suggestions?
Is the bobbin moving when the crank moves? A very common problem with the later Singers is with the hook drive gear, which is plastic. It breaks and the bobbin and feed dog both stop moving. I'd check that first.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 AM

IF the problem is worn out rubber feed dogs, this place says they have metal replacements for your machine:
{ http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx }

Joe
Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Banned

Some people have had good luck replacing the rubber feed dogs with metal ones and some people haven't. Some machines want what they originally had.

Cari
Old 10-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone....I gave it a shot....but this machine is retiring for good. The rubber feed dogs look terrible, so they probably need replaced, but I started cleaning it, and pulled lots of "goo" out from under the bobbin casing...I think my FIL must have tinkered with it at some point and used automotive oil in it or something!!! I have 2 great machines, and a few other vintage machines waiting for some tlc. Time to move on!