Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing! >

Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing!

Singer Touch and Sew 758... Not sewing!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Thanks everyone....I gave it a shot....but this machine is retiring for good. The rubber feed dogs look terrible, so they probably need replaced, but I started cleaning it, and pulled lots of "goo" out from under the bobbin casing...I think my FIL must have tinkered with it at some point and used automotive oil in it or something!!! I have 2 great machines, and a few other vintage machines waiting for some tlc. Time to move on!
Shucks, I was hoping you could get this going. I have a 770 that I think is similar to the 758 but haven't touched for a while as needed some other parts as well. I was thinking that I saw somewhere or was maybe just thinking about using shrink tubing to 'rejuvenate' the rubber feed dogs. I noticed that the 770 had an extra long basting stitch that I thought would come in handy at times.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Thanks everyone....I gave it a shot....but this machine is retiring for good.
Wise decision. We choose our battles and some aren't worth the effort. But do hang onto those cams if you think you'll use them in another machine. Any attachments and feet are transferable to other slant-needle Singers too, of course.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 AM

There was a 15 clone that came to me messed up. With my lack of experience, and the fact that although the clones look externally like the Singer 15s, but are different internally, I messed it up even worse.

Every so often I'd pull it out and work on it using the new knowledge and experience I'd gained. Then I found a machine similar and using that got it closer to functional. Then I found one with the exact same internal design and using that as a guide, in addition to my newly found knowledge and experience, I finally got that clone fixed.

Sometimes you have to put a project on hold while you learn more, then go back to it. You are right to move on to something else for a while.

Your T&S 758 can be fixed, there isn't any reason for it not to be. You just need to learn how to fix it.

Our T&S 778 had metal replacement feed dogs installed when we got it as well as new bottom plastic gears. It still needs some work on the top and I'll get it done eventually.

Don't give up, just work at it as you learn. You'll get it.

Joe
Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 AM

I agree with this but would I think the 301A was the best!!! My vote is toss it or use as an anchor for the boat and buy a 301A. Sorry if my opinion was insensitive.
Karen
Old 10-16-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bug Lady View Post
I agree with this but would I think the 301A was the best!!! My vote is toss it or use as an anchor for the boat and buy a 301A.
The 301 is indeed a great machine but for those who need a zigzag, it lacks that feature.

Originally Posted by Bug Lady View Post
Sorry if my opinion was insensitive.
Fortunately we don't have to worry about hurting machines' feelings. It's a good thing too, because I'd have a gang of T&Ses gathering at the center of town with pitchforks and torches after all the nasty things I've said about them. Singer's quality of construction had declined so significantly - and obviously - by that point, frankly, I feel they deserve it.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Well, I have had a T&S 758 for years now and it has done wonders for me. Now, I have started to quilt and I am presently considering buying a walking foot for my quilting on this Singer. It has a slanted shank but I don't know if the machine and the accessory are compatible. Does anyone know about this? is there a specific model of walking foot for my T&S758??? Thanks for your kind help..
Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Just look for a walking foot for a slant-needle machine. I've bought a couple on Ebay, both Singer and generic, and see no difference. Sometimes the seller doesn't realize the WF is for a slant needle, so inspect the photo and/or confirm that it's for slant needle. If you prefer to go the retail route, there is no shortage of vendors. The same walking foot is used for all slant-needle Singers.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
The same walking foot is used for all slant-needle Singers.
Be careful with this statement. You should say, "The same walking foot is used for slant shank zigzag machines." Over the years I've seen many discussions about a walking foot for a 301. Singer never made a slant shank straight stitch walking foot. Yes, Sew Classic sells one, but if you read the description Jenny tells you it's a regular slant walking foot that's been modified to use on a 301/404. I don't have one so can't say how well it actually works.

Cari
Old 10-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Good point Cari, thanks for clarifying.

The standard slant-needle walking foot commonly available should work on your Singer 758.