Singer treadle I may get

Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM

I have a 1910 27 with those decals. I'll have to re-veneer the top as they had a leaky aquarium on it. It's the 7 drawer cabinet too. (Pictures of mine posted over in the photos section.) I love mine. It's been used a lot and sews very smoothly. I paid $89 for it and would definitely get another one, if given the chance.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
....the 127 is basically the updated version of the 27. The easiest way to tell which one it is - Singer relocated the bobbin winder to ride on the wheel instead of having it lower down to ride on the treadle belt.
Another easy way to tell the difference, if it has a spoked wheel on it, is the number of spokes in the wheel. Most, if not all, 27s have a 6-spoke hand wheel, and most, if not all 127s have a 9-spoke hand wheel.

If it has a disc wheel on it, it could be either model, no matter where the bobbin winder is located. Lots of 27s got upgraded to electric machines in the 1940s, and the bobbin winder had to be relocated up to run on the hand wheel. Some modifications even included removal of the lower bobbin winder mounting lobe and a paint touchup, so they can sometimes fool you. Here’s a 1904 Singer 27 upgraded to electric with the modifications that I’m talking about. Yes, it’s a model 27, even if it doesn’t look like it.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine571_05.jpg  
Old 05-20-2015, 03:11 PM

I think you can also tell by looking at the shuttle carrier - though that also could be converted . . .

I read online somewhere, that Singer started putting the high bobbin winder on the last of the serial numbers allocated to the 27, so you may find one from the factor with the high bobbin winder that has a number listed as allocated to model 27.

I'm tempted to go pull mine out and see if there are other differences underneath. I think I only have one 127 though, and have too many 27's
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM

I have a 27 and about a dozen 128's
well ok 4 or 5

one odd thing, all of my crinkle 40's and 50's 128's are Sans the little cover for the take up lever drive, my early 128 has it as does every 127 I have seen pictured ... wonder what is up with that ?

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-20-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM

hmm lots of information LOL! I don't think she can get the serial number or anything - pretty sure she struggled to get it out of the cabinet for a picture! I'm still clearing space but can see the cabinet for my singer LOL cuious which model I have already..would be something to have the same one HA!

I don't mind a rough looking cabinet - just depends. mine is pretty rough seems like and I knocked a piece off the new home :-( my knee bumped it..sigh..also knocked some of the veneer off a cabinet my 66 is in but found those on the floor so I can glue them back on I guess though where it is now I can't see the side as easily - before there was space between it and in line with the bedroom door so it stood out like a sore thumb with the cabinet being so dark and the missing pieces so light.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Cathy, I sure haven't seen a 201 around here (or on e-bay) that was $20! I "inherited" the one I have. It's one Phil inherited at the sewing machine store, and he brought it home to me probably 10-12 years ago The machine and the decals are in amazingly good condition, but the shellac clear coat is showing it's age. If I ever get to the point that I can stand on my feet for more than 10 minutes at a time, I'm going to refurbish the shellac on the 201, the Two Spool, and the Minnesota Model A I got for my cousin. I'm really proud of my 201 -- the decals are 98% there and intact, so I can't let it go downhill!

Jeanette
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
It is very interesting the difference in pricing - over here, that swiss zigzagger would sell for around $200 - even without a machine!

I'd love to find a couple of later aluminum 201's, and would love a black and a tan one LOL!! I'll be lucky if I ever encounter one at a price I can afford.
If you can organise the shipping (in someone else's shipping container load would be your only affordable option), I'll find you two machines. Actually if you do it now you can have two of mine (they're very common here) for what I paid (no breaking of the rules here). I'd keep the motors and FCs as they would be useless to you, so that would make it a bit lighter.

The Swiss ZZ is worth about that here too but the owner didn't know what she had. I did tell her it was worth more than the machine and she still sold it for $50. I've accumulated a few of these, all with machines (in drawers or accessory boxes). Gave one to Frudemoo and still have four, two of them with a full set of cams. They don't take up much space.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:19 AM

a couple of college students have spent about 4 1/2 days super cleaning/moving furniture/decluttering my townhome- as a result I was able to finally reach my singer treadle and open it up - sigh..missing the plate (guess it fell off when it was in the down position but haven't been able to look all over the floor yet since boxes are still stored over on that side) but guess what?! I think it's the same machine- decals and all - different cabinet thought - think mine has 4 drawers. need to get pics but mad I dont' have the plate and I know it was on there - hope the shuttle is there..sigh..didn't think to look for it at the time - poor lighting. but there was a printout of insructions for 27/127 I think it said- not original just a printout from I guess online somewhere that the previous owner had done. so at least I know I already have a sphinx
Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 AM

If you find your missing slide plate a very slight bend will keep it from falling out again.
Rodney
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 PM

I haven't seen a 201 anywhere for $50. Most of them are listed for auction at $200 or more, depending on what comes with the machine. I look at the prices, even though I don't buy machines. I do admire them! Of course, I'm pretty sure that the majority of prices listed on e-Bay are way too high, INMO!

Jeanette