Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Smokey Blue lives up to his name >

Smokey Blue lives up to his name

Smokey Blue lives up to his name

Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Smokey Blue lives up to his name

My blue Dressmaker 15 clone:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504689[/ATTACH]
has a couple problems ....

It is the quietest, smoothest running clone I have. But he has a smoking motor. Every time I push on the controller it puts out a puff of smoke. I've posted about this before and figured that it would eventually quit. But it hasn't. At one point I used a q-tip with alcohol and cleaned the commutator and brushes. That usually does it. Not this time.
Because the motor runs good, is responsive, and quiet and the wires are good, I've not wanted to take it apart to clean the insides.
Recently however the smoking has gotten worse. Not only does it put out a puff when the motor starts, but sometimes it just keeps blowing smoke.
This is the first motor I've run across that never quit smoking.

The second problem is it twists the fabric as it sews. Especially the bottom layer of a quilt sandwich. I mentioned this in the thread about the FW that twisted the fabric.
I've adjusted the foot / feed dogs till I'm positive they were in alignment. Still twisted.
Then I deliberately rotated the foot just a bit each direction to see weather or not that might do it. Nope.
Then I tried a newer, less used foot. Nope.

So, here I sit with a really nice blue clone that is being uncooperative.
We put him back on the shelf till we could reorganize the work area. Then I'll address his transgressions again.

I really hate it when a really pretty machine has problems. Don't you?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails dm-bc-front.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 11:14 AM

The smoke factor is an easy problem to fix but the motor won't match anymore. That's the least of the issues. I don't know what the solution would be for the twisting fabric.
Rodney
Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Smoky Blue is a very pretty guy. Too bad he didn't give up smoking as his new year's resolution. Sorry I am unable to be any help but seriously love his color.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Using a ss walking foot it still twists on quilts?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Smoky Blue is a very pretty guy. Too bad he didn't give up smoking as his new year's resolution. Sorry I am unable to be any help but seriously love his color.
Lol! Thanks for the great laugh!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Joe, I too have a machine (Singer 128) that smoked horribly. I didn't have time to deal with it but it freaked me out. I had visions of it burning the house down. I quickly unplugged it and put it back on its shelf with a note. i am surprised that everything checks out on yours. I just assumed that the wiring was bad or the commutator.
Rodney, so it needs to be replaced? What would be your guess as to what is causing this if everything appears to be good?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Using a ss walking foot it still twists on quilts?
Yes it did, but not as bad.

I backed up and am working on getting it to sew straight with normal double layer fabric. I think if I can get that part squared away the quilt part will fall into place as well.

Joe
Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The smoke factor is an easy problem to fix but the motor won't match anymore. That's the least of the issues. I don't know what the solution would be for the twisting fabric.
Rodney
Rodney,

The next step on the motor is to take it apart and do a thorough internal cleaning and inspection. I suspect there is a build up of oil on the armature. The only way to find that is to take it apart.

However if I should have to replace the motor, a rattle can of baby blue paint will fix the mismatch color .

Joe
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Joe, I too have a machine (Singer 128) that smoked horribly. I didn't have time to deal with it but it freaked me out. I had visions of it burning the house down. I quickly unplugged it and put it back on its shelf with a note. i am surprised that everything checks out on yours. I just assumed that the wiring was bad or the commutator.
Rodney, so it needs to be replaced? What would be your guess as to what is causing this if everything appears to be good?
As I said in my response to Rodney, I suspect it to be a build up of oil and maybe lint on the armature. I doubt seriously if it's a wiring problem because the motor runs so good.
I'm not concerned about fire, but to be honest I'm getting a bit annoyed at the smoking. At first it was kind of humorous, but it's gotten old now. I'm gonna try to get a video of it just for the heck of it though.

Joe
Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM

I remember when you first posted about his smoking machine. Sorry it hasn't been resolved. Would always be a great "display" piece. Sure is a pretty machine, but you might more than just another pretty face, huh! Good luck and be sure to let us know how it ends.