Stab me through the HEART!

Old 09-06-2016, 10:29 AM

And if anyone is curious about the state of the machine: it seems to move quite smoothly. The cord was in a horrific state:

But once I bought some new lampcord and other bits at Lowe's and rewired it, it seems to work fine, although the motor belt is about to break. It also needs a new bobbin tire (the old one shattered when I tried to pry it off) and the bobbin case is missing. And it comes with one cam. It says 691, not 651 on it, by-the-by.

Once I clean it up and get the above parts, I'll how it stitches. One of the things I was astonished to discover is that the light actually still works. I was really expecting the bulb to be dead. But then, I'm a total novice at this machine repair stuff. Wish me luck!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Welcome to the board from Topeka. Oil everything that moves. Rubber bits are usually easy to find. bobbin case may be a challenge. Wishing you well. And BTW have a cat keep your tools warm, it helps somehow.
Attached Thumbnails cat-warm-tool-box.jpg  
Old 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM

Fortunately, I have a cat to keep my tools warm! I even have a spare! One of them looks very much like yours; the other is grey-and-white. They've only just turned one, so they're still naive enough to try and hover over my machine when I'm using it because the needle looks cool. If they are content to stay to the right of the pillar, I let them. But most of the time I'm just glad my sewing room has a door.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Quatie, I totally swear by the OSMGs in parklane shopping center- A-1 Singer Sewing.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:58 PM

Quiltmouse, I called up Needle Nook, because I know they like the older Berninas, and asked them who to see for an old machine, and they directed me there too. (Figures that it's the farthest shop from my house, but I had to head north on Oliver to stop at the Boy Scout Store anyway.) Got all the parts! Bobbin case seems to be pretty standard. As an afterthought, I asked whether it was supposed to fall off the lift-assist hinge pins, and we discovered the broken set screw and replaced that too! I'm not going to try it out until I clean up the cabinet and the machine, though. The knee control was a pain to take out of the cabinet, and I don't want to re-string the wiring until I know I won't be unstringing it again for cleaning.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 PM

Leonf, your Two Spool seems to be in pretty good condition. I inherited one that my aunt had -- she inherited it from her grandmother (my husband's great-grandmother) and they were both born and raised in Oklahoma- about 100 miles North of OK City. I love the machine, but I haven't had the chance to really use it. We've oiled it, cleaned it, and kept it lubricated -- sure don't want it to freeze up. It's especially important because it came from my husband's family (my DH died in 2004), and it's part of my son's heritage. Your decals are in extremely good condition. From your post, I presume that you have the canister for it! I hope so. Those are pretty pricey! My machine is a treadle, though.

Qatie, I went to high school in Wichita, Kansas (Wichita High School North)
Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 09-08-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 PM

Jeannette & Qatie, I lived in Wichita except for ages 15-20 and up until 3 years ago.

Jeannette, my family owned houses on Wellington Place for over 40 years, that's my stomping grounds. Jack's sure was amazing food. I went to high school at Maize & finished high school in Texas.

Ann, at Needle Nook-you cannot go wrong with her advice. She's a doll.

Midwest Sewing, on Pattie is good.

Do not go to Southend on Hydraulic. I have a desktop 403 Singer, that the foot pedal was acting up on, he fixed it, but shoved the plug in any old how, right in front of me. Basically, put a rectangular wire in the wrong direction. I made him re-do it. He also suggested freezing my thread with a bit of water in a baggie. Tried to sell me standard sewing.machine needles for my serger.

Last edited by quiltmouse; 09-09-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Jeanette,

Were you related to the Franz who was a librarian at Valley Center.. Yes I have the spool can, it clicks into place properly. waiting on a proper needle.

Qatie and quiltmouse Dated a Maize woman. Went to prom at ICT West.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out a-1 after Winfield weekend.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 AM

Want to see how she looks now?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564649[/ATTACH]
I realize there are very mixed feelings about painting VSM cabinets. But Kerby's cabinet was just a plain blonde pickle like you'd find in a classroom, and I really hated the finish. I couldn't even strip it off well enough to stain the lower part of the cabinet, which had been my original plan.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564651[/ATTACH]

I meant to have this done back in October, but I got an unexpected job right after I found this machine and it halved the child-free time I had each week...
Attached Thumbnails kerby.jpg   kerbyreveal.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Qatie. It does indeed look nice. Glad you got it. Is it all operational now?

Congrats on the unexpected job if it was something you wanted. Jo do have a way of interfering with life.

I brought a Bitish Singer 99 back to life last night.
A big glob of thread/fuzz was at the clutch hand/wheel area.She's happy now