Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Taking a stab at it...

Alright, first of all, this makes me nervous....

But, I have been working at writing a pattern for my one quilt for some time. I have the twin size finished.

Here's the link to the picture:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/12271.page

Here's the link to the pattern:
    http://karaj.typepad.com/karajquiltp...nofFriends.pdf

Please let me know how I did...

Kara---first of all--I LOVE that quilt!! It is a fresh new twist on an Irish chain and a star block.

Your pattern looks great. Your instructions are very clear and your illustrations make following the directions easy. I did not check your measurements--I am going to assume you checked them twice :D

All in all--I would say, this is a very successful attempt at pattern writing. May I be the first to offer to purchase this pattern from you? PM me your address and I will send you money for it. Thanks!!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Just reading the pattern sounds good. I might do it in real life and see how it goes. It looks good though.

Kara, that is a lovely quilt and your instructions appear to be quite clear, I too may attempt to make one, the colours you used are quite perfect, so crisp and clean looking.
    Katherine

I just read thru the pattern and I'd say you did an outstanding job. I did notice that you forgot to insert a number on page 2 on the last line of the white fabric block.

Blog Entries
    Great job. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    In MHO...you did a very good job with the pattern. Its a beautiful quilt and the pattern looks good...so what do you do next? Are you setting up a web site or do you already have one or do you market it elsewhere?

You can tell...I only make quilts..don't know how to do much else.

Kara, I think you did a great job on your pattern. The instructions and photos are very clear and easy to understand. So, are you going to publish it? .

Kara, love the instructions. You were very precise and clear with lots of illustrations. Go ahead -- publish it but don't forget to get it copyrighted first! And we want MORE!

Super job on the instructions, thanks.

I LOVE this quilt. I too am a fan of green. :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Your pattern (and the quilt) turned out wonderfully! Easy cutting instructions and strip-set diagrams. Maybe you would want to insert a picture/diagram with your 1/2-square triangle piecing instructions for the new quilter.

I always find with the 3-7/8" measurement, that I have to take a scant 1/4" seam allowance to make the units big enough, and I also re-trim each unit to the exact size (in this case 3-1/2" square) before I piece my blocks together, even if it is just one thread-width that gets trimmed.

(I have found a very happy place for my obsessive-compulsive disorder.... too bad it doesn't go into other areas of my life like dishes or housecleaning.... :wink:)

In the picture of your Assembly for rows of Sashing and Stars, I might separate the sashing diagram from the star blocks, like you did with your block construction diagram on page 3, maybe just on the top row, so new quilters can see at a glance that a sashing strip goes on each side of the blocks.. I counted 58 of them.

Beautiful work - beautiful design, great color choices. More, more! :)

Banned
    awesome..... thank you

Very nice and you did a good job on the directions. It is very easy to understand. You should contact a magazine . Hey you get enough patterns and you can do a book :D

Banned
    Wonderful quilt and instructions! You chose a most perfect name also.

Beautiful I LOVE the colors.
    WOW you did great in writting the instructions.
    Keep up the pattern making :D

You did Great! The quilt looks so well done and I just love the colors. Your son will be very happy with his green quilt.

I really like the pattern and it came at a very good time. I belong to a small quilting group that recently read Circle of Quilters and we each are making our own quilts to depicit something from the story. This pattern really connects the stars just as the quilters in the story were so I think it will do very nciely for my Circle of Quilters quilt. Thanks, May in Jersey

Hurry and publish!!! I NEED a copy :P :P This one really calls to me :lol: :lol:

Banned
    Your quilt is lovely, Kara. Your son will just love it, I'm sure. Nice work!!But I'm confused about your goals for the pattern you wrote out. Was it your intent to publish and sell it or to just give it away free to anyone who wants it, sort of as a practice pattern for your writing skills?

whatever your intent was when you wrote the instructions, it was very generous of you to share them with us all.

it's a beautiful quilt and the instructions were well written and easily understood.

you do wonderful work, both writing the instructions and especially making the quilt. i don't think many of us would do either half as well.

YAY, YOU!

Oh, I really like that. Not colors I would've chosen but I love the colors on it.

You did an absolutely AWESOME job on that, bravo!!! :) :) :)

cjc
    I love the quilt. The colors that you choose work perfect together. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.