Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Substitute needles for the Minnesota and Davis, as well as others, machines

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Ha! An NVF with an older Davis needle plate. Will use 15x1's and Davis long bobbins.Jon
    Jon; Thanks so much for your help. So why is my serial # so much older than the machine? I ask because the serial # is not on the needle plate, if I recall correctly.
    Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Jon; Thanks so much for your help. So why is my serial # so much older than the machine? I ask because the serial # is not on the needle plate, if I recall correctly.
    Chris
    Needle plate is not accurate, the serial number is on the front slide plate or front throat plate. Your original plate was lost and someone got a plate from an 1893 VF1 to replace it with. I cant see well the SN from your photos but can tell it is a different style than an NVF should have.

Get some 15x1's and have at it!

Jon

Blog Entries
    Needle plate is not accurate, the serial number is on the front slide plate or front throat plate. Your original plate was lost and someone got a plate from an 1893 VF1 to replace it with. I cant see well the SN from your photos but can tell it is a different style than an NVF should have.

Get some 15x1's and have at it! Jon
    Thanks again for all the information. I will try to get a photo of the serial # later tonite. I may try using the Davisd for the baby quilt am starting tonight. Nope, gotta clean it up first - my 301 will just have to do. Love my 301 - she's a gem!!
    Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Oh, you are a life-saver!
    Okay, maybe that is overstated a bit but today I started the hunt for needles for the 187? LA Davis I have here. I stumbled upon this post through a web search.
    I am ecstatic to have found this information. Off to try and locate this needle. And a bobbin tyre.

best,
    d

thank you!
    best,
    d
    The MTx190 is only for OLD Davis Sewing Machines. Even Davis switched over to the 15x1 by 1910 or so. So if you have an old Low Arm, VF1, VF2, Minnesota or badged Davis before 1910 the MTx190 will replace the Boye 10 ($$$). Any other machine should not use this needle that I know of (maybe a White from the 1870's?) other than the industrial application the MTx190 was originally intended for.

Jon
    Last edited by Whigrose; 04-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    My best is the least I can do.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.
    2012-2013 Row by Row-Groups 6 & 7 ... 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters Swap

Here's the thread for my Low Arm, a favorite:

My New 1878 Davis Low Arm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3