Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Taming the 15 clone tension... well maybe..... >

Taming the 15 clone tension... well maybe.....

Taming the 15 clone tension... well maybe.....

Old 09-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I'm hoping you can see the variety. Yes I have one plate left over - I robbed parts off of it...
The weird thing is if you can attach it you can use it on about any 15 clone......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]530050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails more-tension-009.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I shot over 70 pictures. It is too bad I can't get them all on here.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

This link has been around a while - there is good info on there:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I haven't done very many tension assemblies(if it works-don't fix it) but I've done a few, enough so that I understood you.

Cari
Coward...... I do disassemble even the nice looking ones. I eliminate a lot of frustration - one less thing to worry about once it is done. I can clean up a tension pretty quickly these days. Mom, well............
Old 09-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I just finished the last 2. One had a post and one had a plate part. The one with the plate didn't just set on a slot it had a forked piece - that went over a screw. I don't think I have seen one like that before. The dials aren't great but they do work. I think I like the clones with the post built into the face plate for rebuilding.
There is a lot of variation with the tension springs. They vary in size and shape. It may be trial and error to see what fits and works the best. I do know some rub. Some get stuck and have to use a different size. It may be what came with the machine but it may not be right - blame it on IGOR. Igor with pliers in his hot hands bent a spring... IGOR bent a thread guide at the top of the plate. IGOR cross threaded one of the nuts. IGOR oils tension pins with 3in1 oil maybe... IGOR puts thing back in the wrong order and facing the wrong way.
I hope this has helped somebody.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:40 PM

I DO NOT agree with you! skip the tea and open up a bottle of wine before you start. Moscato would be nice.

I know, I know work and play do not always mix. butttttt. hehehe

Karen
Old 09-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

Yeah, I guess I am a little cowardly about tensions but I'm getting over it. I've been lucky in that most of my machines haven't had any serious issues. I do have one clone that has a tension issue I haven't been able to resolve. It's the Brother half of my Twins.(Look alike Brother and Morse) My plan is to swap tensions and get rid of the Morse. Problem solved!

Cari
Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Yeah, I guess I am a little cowardly about tensions but I'm getting over it. I've been lucky in that most of my machines haven't had any serious issues. I do have one clone that has a tension issue I haven't been able to resolve. It's the Brother half of my Twins.(Look alike Brother and Morse) My plan is to swap tensions and get rid of the Morse. Problem solved!

Cari
hhhmmmmm what is it not doing? Is it one with a post or one with the little plate?
I have found if the tension pin sticks the tension doesn't work very well and no amount of adjusting will make the stupid tension work. If the pin is not the right length you might have a few problems, too. A little bit of dried up oil or rust can make drag on the thread, too. If a tension has one stupid little part put in the wrong direction or in the wrong order it isn't going to work. If you have a little plate with the place the pin hits check the direction it goes. If you pull up on the foot lever and nothing moves it might be in backwards. Then again if you have the little cup type it only goes one way. I did see one with the prong kind of thing that the pin hits in wrong. That doesn't work very well either.
I have had more problems with the kind with a dial than the ones that didn't have a dial. Maybe that is why some times I see a machine with only the bottom part of the dial. It is so much easier to adjust the tension with out the stupid dial...

Last edited by miriam; 09-07-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM

I'm ok with a front type of tension after all that grief with my 201. I still haven't had to clean/rebuild a 15 tension. Odd since I have so many 15's around.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Can you see that this one is put together wrong???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]530061[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clone-tensions-007.jpg   clone-tensions-041.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 09-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.