Time For An Experiment

Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Good comment CD!!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 AM

Nice machine! After my Elna SU pulley was replaced, a friend mentioned there are products to 'rejuvenate' rubber parts back to their original condition. A rumor, and I've no idea if it would work for this application because the rubber might be worn away rather than compressed......but if my pulley goes bad again, I will check it out. Just another possibility.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks Dianne, Every little tidbit of helpful info is appreciated. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
Nice machine! After my Elna SU pulley was replaced, a friend mentioned there are products to 'rejuvenate' rubber parts back to their original condition. A rumor, and I've no idea if it would work for this application because the rubber might be worn away rather than compressed......but if my pulley goes bad again, I will check it out. Just another possibility.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM

I tried this just now and it worked great except I still have the loud growling noise but without the thump thump flat tire sound...LOL
Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Thank you for the compliment, I hope I get her up and running quietly too!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I haven't heard of puffing them back up again. I've heard of people filing them down to even them out and even making a replacement part of aluminum and using O-rings which are much cheaper to replace than the rubber pulley.

I had an Elna SU blue top with everything find me this weekend for 10.00. They make is so hard to resist at such low prices!
Boy doesn't it though!, If they are priced high it is much easier to walk away....
Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Hmmm......no thump, but still grinding. The new but vintage pulley on my SU often is a bit noisy when I first start sewing, but after a minute or two quiets way down. Another thought is to lightly sand it, giving it better traction, but I'd wait a while, give the wheel time to totally revive before doing anything else.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Good idea. Nice to see it got rid of the flat spot. Let us know how the rest of the repairs go.
Great looking machine. I do like the looks of the Elnas.

Other than color what are the differences between the Planas and Supermatics?
Rodney
Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Thanks Dianne, my other Elna has a new pulley and she does have a light growl that I call the "elna Growl" and she sews beautifully but this noise is definitely a problem.

The Elna's have such tight tolerances as to be almost non existent. So it doesn't take much to cause problems. It may be that reducing the size of the rubber wheel to remove the flat spot has made other machine parts in the area not align quite right???

I am ordering a new pulley ( hubby said so) and I will try that before anything else. I will report back when I get the new pulley installed.
Lorraine
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Hey Rodney, I spent two days researching that and apparently there is quite a bit of misinformation. The man difference is the Plana's have a flat bed. That is what Plana means in different languages. Some peeps say it doesn't take the double cams but one woman I found got hers to take them just by using the correct settings.

I actually was able to download a correct manual for my model and it states that the Automatic designation of the model means it has automatic stitch adjustments by using and properly setting the built in "Elnagraph" How cool is that?! It further states that it comes with the 5 most commonly used discs and that a GREAT NUMBER of other Elna discs can be purchased separately. She does just about everything.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Good idea. Nice to see it got rid of the flat spot. Let us know how the rest of the repairs go.
Great looking machine. I do like the looks of the Elnas.

Other than color what are the differences between the Planas and Supermatics?
Rodney