Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Treadle conversion as easy as. . . >

Treadle conversion as easy as. . .

Treadle conversion as easy as. . .

Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Treadle conversion as easy as. . .

Is converting this to treadle as easy as replacing motor belt with treadle belt? (Assuming have fitted into treadle base)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589226[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails c4d13cfa-3c9a-47d2-858e-a19329099ab3.jpeg  
Old 02-17-2018, 04:24 AM

Yes, as easy as that. I think I had to enlarge the hinge holes a tad, so just be aware of that.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Oooh, a 130. I am on a look for a cast iron zigzagger too, they don't turn up too often around here. I would keep the motor though, I think Pfaff had a slighly stronger motor than standard at the time. It should treadle well, as long as the leather belt is narrow enough for the groove in the hand wheel. I think I have seen pictures of a 130 converted to a spoked hand wheel, maybe original or maybe borrowed from a pfaff 30. I have hardly treadled at all, just a few test drives, but getting the wheel to go in the right direction can be done from under the table too.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 PM

I just picked up one of these beauties last week for five dollars just needed a little work on the wiring and now purrs love it would not part with it.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Denno View Post
Yes, as easy as that. I think I had to enlarge the hinge holes a tad, so just be aware of that.
Thanks! I will post pics when got her going!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Oooh, a 130. I am on a look for a cast iron zigzagger too, they don't turn up too often around here. I would keep the motor though, I think Pfaff had a slighly stronger motor than standard at the time. It should treadle well, as long as the leather belt is narrow enough for the groove in the hand wheel. I think I have seen pictures of a 130 converted to a spoked hand wheel, maybe original or maybe borrowed from a pfaff 30. I have hardly treadled at all, just a few test drives, but getting the wheel to go in the right direction can be done from under the table too.
I just acquired this gal. She is going to need some cleaning but the hand wheel does turns without resistance. I have not been able to look her over yet. The only ones I could see on the internet/google were conversions to ones that had spoked hand wheels so I wondered about this style. The spoked version may be easier to turn to get started, maybe?? I just recently discovered getting my White Rotary going by pulling on the belt underneath, near my thigh and it is so much easier and consistent than using hand wheel.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mkay View Post
I just picked up one of these beauties last week for five dollars just needed a little work on the wiring and now purrs love it would not part with it.
And here I thought I scored with this machine costing $25 and here you inform me of your FIVE Dollar purchase!!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:04 PM

As long as the handwheel sticks out far enough to clear everything else in its path, you should be ok.