Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Universal Super Zig Zag Model AZZ >

Universal Super Zig Zag Model AZZ

Universal Super Zig Zag Model AZZ

Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Oh, one other idea ..... you could mount it in your Zenith treadle cabinet and run it

Joe
Hmmm. I don't know if it will fit in the Zenith cabinet and don't know if it would treadle as the hand wheel is very small. But heck, it won't hurt to try. I think the big issue will be with the mounting "do hickies" .
Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Caroline,

Here's what I see about your machine, it's controls are very similar to mine:
A: White nob with blue ring and designs on it on the left is your stitch regulator.
B: Put it on any of the darker filled in patterns, then put the stitch width nob on 0 to 1 and you will get that pattern. Any farther on the width nob decreases the pattern. At "5" all you get is a satin type stitch.
C: For the lighter patterns on the nob, you'll need to move the pointy up lever to the left to engage reverse. These patterns cause the machine to run backwards while making the stitches.
D: The bottom white nob with the small chrome ring around it is your stitch length regulator. To get the tightest patterns set it on 1/2 to 1.
E: To get straight stitch with the needle centered; put the needle position on "M", the stitch width nob on "0" and the pattern control nob on "manual".
F: To get zig-zag without using the patterns on the pattern nob, set the pattern nob on "manual" and move the stitch width control anywhere right from "0". The higher the number the wider the stitch.

I find it's best to leave the needle parked in the center position unless you need to move it for a special pattern.

Let me know if these instructions help any. I haven't gotten "totally" familiar with mine but I'm getting there.

Now, where are you getting your new cord block and motor? Just curious.

Joe
I ordered the motor from Ronald Anderson at A1Sewing Machine. I attached a photo of my sick motor and he is sending me one that will work. Sure hope it does, if not I will have a spare motor for another machine.

Thanks for the illustrations on the Universal photo. I am sure that the white push button between E and F is a reverse button.

Thanks, Caroline
Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM

I get my motors from Sew-Classic. They are pretty much universal. She has or had two styles. The first style has adjustments on the side like yours. The other style is adjusted on the end. I've gotten several motors from them, I think the brand is Alphasew. My local SMG has the same brand and I've gotten them from him too.

You are right about the grease. The big gear in the middle right behind the stitch pattern nob.

I oil sliders, pivots, forks, but I grease metal gears.

Joe
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM

I inherited the exact same machine only mine is beige. I have a few questions I hope you can answer since yours seems to be working properly. What is the lever that is just above the stitch selection dial? I can't figure out what it does. My dial has become stuck of late and I do not know if I have moved something that has locked it or what. Any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM

I have the same machine (it belonged to my Grandmother) that I still use. She kept everything, even the original order form and envelope. I have the original instructional manual. If you have not found one, I'd be happy to scan it in and send it to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by RachelH View Post
I have the same machine (it belonged to my Grandmother) that I still use. She kept everything, even the original order form and envelope. I have the original instructional manual. If you have not found one, I'd be happy to scan it in and send it to you.
Thanks for the offer of the manual Rachel. I will PM you.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM

I have the same machine in pink and black and was wondering if I might be able to get the manual from you. I hope to post a pic of it soon.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM

hey i was wondering if you could send me a scanned copy of the manual also i cant find one online. ty u can email me [email protected]
Old 03-10-2015, 10:21 AM

I know this is a super old thread, but I am grasping at straws here. Does anyone have any info about this machine? I have one and am having no luck. I got it oiled and running, but need help threading it.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Welcome mrsblue!
It looks like a pretty standard machine for threading it. From the spool to the thread guide(possibly two guides on top of the machine), down between the tension disks, back up the other side of the disks(the thread should pop in behind the spring on the disks) down under the guide to the left of the disks, up thru the take up lever, follow the guides down to the needle. The needle most likely faces with the hole front to back with the long groove in the needle toward the front.

Caroline is still active here so I hope she sees this too.
Rodney