Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What about presser foot pressure? >

What about presser foot pressure?

What about presser foot pressure?

Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Default What about presser foot pressure?

Tammi did such a good job explaining about Tension Bugboos, but what about presser foot pressure?

I don't understand it and doing a google search gets you next to nothing about the actual adjustment procedure. Posts tell you how to adjust it, how important it is and that you should do it. Do What?

I am very unclear as to when it should be lighter and when it should be heavier. I know if it is off it can cause skipped stitches, uneven feeding, and even stretch the fabric. *Try and search fabric stretching and you get a lot of articles on sewing stretch knits grrrr.

Are there hints in how the fabric feeds as to what needs doing?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-26-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I know that there is not an adjustment on my Bernina. Hope someone post some more information.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Try going to Victorian sweatshop forum SteveH put up. A lot of people went there.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:44 AM

It should be lighter pressure for thinner fabrics or those with nap to prevent marring, and greater for heavier fabrics so they feed well. It is probably a good idea to test the pressure with some scraps before you start your project. Fabric should feed without puckering (too much pressure) yet be held securely. Turn the pressure knob on top clockwise to increase and counterclockwise to decrease, usually. My Pfaff 1473 pressure increases by pushing downward in increments.
I hope this helps.
pat
Old 02-13-2016, 02:42 PM

If there is a pressure regulator on the upper left, top of the machine with an outer ring around the presser rod, here is what the manual says for Kenmore: Push down the outer ring of the regulator. This will release pressure on the presser foot. To increase pressure, push down on the inner pin (rod), until suitable pressure is obtained. Insuficient pressure may cause poor feeding. If feed dog or pressure marks show on fabric, reduce he pressure. For ordinary sewing, the inner pin (rod) should be halfway down. When sewing several layers, or thick fabric, less pressure is needed. When sewing thin fabric, slightly firmer pressure may be needed. (from Kenmore model13550 manual. You should always consult the manual for your machine.
I totally recommend experimenting with 2 layers of the fabric you intend to sew until you find the pressure right for your fabric. It shouldn't take long and will give the best result.
You may prefer to get a stitch regulator, which will help feed fabric more evenly, as used in quilting. Three layers of the quilt sandwich will always require you to address foot pressure accordingly. That is why we practice before starting on a precise stitching project.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 02-13-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:50 PM

I finally got it adjusted. It's not 100% as perfect as I would like it, but it is as good as I can get it. I am piecing and it is a very precise pattern.

The uckiest part of sewing for me, is adjusting the machine pressure and tension. Once that's correct though, off we sew!
Old 02-13-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by PatriciaPf View Post
It should be lighter pressure for thinner fabrics or those with nap to prevent marring, and greater for heavier fabrics so they feed well. It is probably a good idea to test the pressure with some scraps before you start your project. Fabric should feed without puckering (too much pressure) yet be held securely. Turn the pressure knob on top clockwise to increase and counterclockwise to decrease, usually. My Pfaff 1473 pressure increases by pushing downward in increments.
I hope this helps.
pat
That is what I've always heard, too. I think that I read somewhere about possibly increasing the pressure when doing buttonhole attachment. I think I've just left mine somewhere in the middle and when I used the buttonhole attachment I did it from the wrong side as I liked the look of it better. I also read that some decorative stitches one should increase the pressure. I also read that lighter pressure is used when darning and I would think that would apply to FMQ as well.

I know that I have seen manuals that in essence seem almost the opposite like Donna's Kenmore than Singer Sewing Skills says & Pat put so well.

Three examples (besides Donna's):

• Singer Sewing Skills - "Heavy materials require a heavy pressure and light materials a light pressure."
  • Kenmore 1430 and others - "When sewing multiple thickness or heavy fabric, reduce the pressure. Increase pressure when sewing lighter weight fabrics."
  • The Imperial manual states: "For sewing thin or light fabrics, press the top of the A pressure regulator (B) down lightly to get the required slight pressure of the fabric. For sewing thicker or heavier fabrics, push the top of the pressure regulator down further, in order to get a stronger pressure on the presser foot."

One way to test would be like in Singer Sewing Skills - "It is advisable to test for pressure adjustment on a lengthwise scrap of fabric by stitching without thread. When all seam edges are handled evenly the correct pressure adjustment has been reached."

Another way to test would be like Miriam stated at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7362730 "Put the paper under the foot, try to pull the paper out forward/toward you. If the paper tears there is too much pressure. If too much, loosen the pressure until the paper pulls out. Then tighten it a bit. There is a sweet spot. Then check it with fabric. I usually adjust the pressure until it just holds the fabric."

Soooo, Christy, how did you adjust it to get it close?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-13-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 PM

Good subject! I'm helping my friend make her first quilt, and she started quilting it today with an even-feed foot. There just wasn't enough space between the feed dogs and the foot to make good stitches. I adjusted the stitch length, but that didn't help too much. Took about three passes for me to think about changing the foot pressure! (I piece a lot on my vintage machines, but quilt them on a Bernina with automatic pressure, and rarely have to change it). Anyway, my friend has a 70's Touch and Sew, with the pressure regulator inside the nose plate, so not really obvious. Lowering the pressure made a huge difference in the stitching! BTW, this was with a fairly thick poly batting. Lesson learned, at least until next time!
Old 12-26-2018, 09:40 AM

Mania, Did you ever learn what to do if your machine has not presser foot pressure Adjustment? I can't find one on my Montgomery Ward machine (from 1980s). Can't sew thick fleece without getting the top layer to stretch over the bottom layer. Want to lighten the pressure. Manual doesn't mention an adjuster so I assume there is none. Cant find anyway?
Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marilyn K A View Post
Mania, Did you ever learn what to do if your machine has not presser foot pressure Adjustment? I can't find one on my Montgomery Ward machine (from 1980s). Can't sew thick fleece without getting the top layer to stretch over the bottom layer. Want to lighten the pressure. Manual doesn't mention an adjuster so I assume there is none. Cant find anyway?
Welcome, Marilyn. Domestic machines such Montgomery Ward machines were not made to sew extremely thick fabric, but can sometimes can handle fairly thick fabric.

Do you have a manual for you machine? It should tell in the manual. What model machine is it?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.