Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressure on Presser Foot issue >

Pressure on Presser Foot issue

Pressure on Presser Foot issue

Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM

Default Pressure on Presser Foot issue

Hope someone can offer advise -
I have a Janome Memory Craft 6500 Professional and it has been great for many years.
I get it serviced regularly and just finished FMQ a 52 x 72 quilt without any trouble.

Not I'm on to another FMQ project and the fabric is not moving smoothly under the foot.
I double checked the feed dogs and double checked the foot pressure (knob on the top) but there is no change in the resistance under the presser foot when I try to slide the fabric around.
It's like the pressure on the fabric is too strong.

I think it's either the pressure button or maybe it's the pressure foot lever sitting too heavy?.

Has any one else had this issue? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I had that problem once but figured out it was a bit of basting spray on the fabric where it didn't belong. I have a MC4800.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:38 PM

I don't use basting spray but I did figure out it was the Free Motion Foot....a metal bar on it was bent and that's what helps lift the foot up & down. Found this out at a repair shop... since it was already there I had them clean/oil/etc. Got the machine back yesterday (husband picked it up) and the foot pedal and power cord they gave him are not the ones I dropped off. They belong to someone else with the same or similar machine.
My fault for not marking them but I have never had any problems taking the machine anywhere - first time at this place though. I called them and they said they would try to find mine but they don't sound optimistic.
So, my question is.... would you be ok with this switch? My pedal and cord were in immaculate condition... super white pedal...not yellowed... no scuffs... no abrasions... and there was a red mark on the pedal cord indicating how far you can pull it out. Not so with the one I got back.
At this point I don't know what they can do about it. If someone else got my pedal & power cord with their machine they probably wouldn't notice or wouldn't tell since mine are in better condition.
The pedal and cord work fine.
Husband thinks I should just move on.... am I neurotic for want MY foot pedal and cord back?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM

I would be upset about not getting my foot pedal and cord back. If they can't find yours, they owe you brand spanking new ones from Janome. Is this the dealer who did the service or an independent repair shop? I used to deal with the Janome dealer in your area (I'm in Napoleon) and I had one too many situations like that to ever go back there.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 PM

If you are using the gliding foot and not the hopping foot there is a dial on it so you can raise it. Once I raised my foot with dial I had no more problems.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Get your foot control and cord back. They don't service that many machines that they can't find it or figure out where it went. I would be very insistent about it with the repair center.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 PM

I agree with Mitch's mom, that is unacceptable. If they are a dealer and they continue giving you lame excuses, definitely call the company. They want good reps and happy customers, and expect their dealers to have this goal.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:06 AM

I would insist that they return your property. Somewhere, I remember hearing advice to never bring your power cord or foot pedal to the repair shop. They have access to any they might need, so they don't need yours.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I would be upset about not getting my foot pedal and cord back. If they can't find yours, they owe you brand spanking new ones from Janome. Is this the dealer who did the service or an independent repair shop? I used to deal with the Janome dealer in your area (I'm in Napoleon) and I had one too many situations like that to ever go back there.
Thanks for the support. LyndaOH I believe I know the dealer you are thinking of and NO I did not take it there. I went infor extra bobbins years ago and.... it's a long story but I won't go back. Any previous routine cleanings have been to Marblehead and Upper Sandusky (both completely fine but these places are farther away and not “authorized.”)

The only other "authorized" Janome dealers in my area are an hour south or 30 minutes north. I went north. This is a family business and they have been in operation over 45 years and have a good reputation.The owner told me yesterday this “never” happens and “we’ll make itright.”

I believe this was an honest mix up and I want to give them some time to “make it right.” I work in retail and I do not want to be one of “those” customers. In the “Grand Scheme” of things this is a pretty small thing so I am trying to keep some perspective…. which is odd because my reaction is somewhat against my personality… I’m not sure why I am being so passive.

I plan to call back today and see if they’ve had any luck or if they think they know if it’s misplaced in their shop or home with someone else.

As an interesting side note, they are also ordering me a replacement FM foot and they are $8 less than the dealer “in my area” and $24 less than the internet. Wonder what their markup is.

Thanks, amy
Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Well I called them today and they just could not seem to locate my foot control or cord. They don't understand how this could have happened. Since Janome no longer makes this kind of foot control there really isn't anything they can do.
Well I did some checking and Amazon has the foot control for $70. Not sure I can force them to buy it for me so maybe the only thing I can do is report them to the BBB.
I telling someone at my LQS about this, she said she has heard of some places keeping "nicer, newer" parts and giving people back older, crappier parts. I still don't know if this is deliberate or not but I know I will never go back there again... AND I will always mark my parts.