Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Presser Foot Pressure... >

Presser Foot Pressure...

Presser Foot Pressure...

Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Presser Foot Pressure...

I'm still fairly new to sewing, only have a few years under my belt and I recently got a new machine. My first machine was a Brother and I noticed every months I was subtly learning something new about sewing/stitching, the machine, etc. Switching to the Elna (I call her Shelby) I feel like I am learning to sew all over again, aside from the basics... but what it comes down to is that I have a long ways to go in learning all the nuances of Shelby and how she likes to sew.

I was recently sewing some basic squares, the size of accent pillows, and no matter how much I pinned around the edges, the fabric would shift. I never had the problem as bad as this on the Brother. I tried using the integrated walking foot, and it helped, but I shouldn't have to do that in general stitching. Then it dawned on me to loosen the presser foot pressure (wasn't able to do that with the Brother). That helped immensely.

So I guess my question is - does this sound right or normal in higher end machines? What do you all do to prevent fabric from shifting during sewing?

Thanks in advance for your help/advise/wisdom.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

I love the adjustable foot pressure on my machine. It makes sense that different fabrics need different pressure. I dial my pressure down to 0 when I do free motion quilting.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM

My Husqvarna sets the pressure on its on, love that feature.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

My Bernina 1230 does not have the ability to change the presser foot pressure. However, it feeds very evenly so I have never had a problem with shifting.

You might want to check the feed dogs on your machine. Take two long strips (jelly roll style) that are cut exactly equal in length. Sew them together and see if the two pieces end up the same length. Also check to see if there is any bend in the strip. Feed dog alignment has a lot to do with how perfectly your machine sews.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM

The 'automatic adjustable presser foot' on my vintage Elna is precisely the reason she can't quilt. I like an adjustable foot for piecing and FMQ, which all my other vintage machines have. Don't think I'm bad mouthing the Elna - I love that machine, but that is the one feature I'd change.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Yes. When you were describing the problem, I immediately thought 'presser foot too tight', so what you did was the correct adjustment. As you mentioned, every machine has it's own nuances. If you bought it from a dealer, you might want to ask them. If you got it used, then I would just make the pressure adjustment and as long as you like the way it stitches, then don't worry about it.

One additional thought. I'm not sure how the ankle is afixed to your machine. You might want to check and make sure that it is installed all the way up the shaft. If it's not on all the way, that will put additional pressure on the foot.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
My Husqvarna sets the pressure on its on, love that feature.
Isn't it wonderful?!?!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Banned

Hmm interesting! I wonder if my Singer has that option. It gets difficult to sew fleece when there's more than 1 layer.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM

Adjustable presser foot pressure is a feature I would not live without on a sewing machine. Its a definate must have when I am looking at new machines. Kind of funny how much my "must have features" list has grown over the years.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Thank you Prism99 and PaperPrincess... this is exactly the info I was looking for. Like I said, the Brother didn't have this adjustment, well it didn't have many adjustments, so I just got used to compensating and working around issues. Great suggestion PaperPrincess on checking the ankle, I didn't think of that. The presser foot pressure had been set at 7 from the factory, and it's the recommended setting for normal stitching... but if my Shelby just likes a little less pressure - so be it.
I got it when I was in AZ over Christmas, but I can ask my local dealer next time I'm in there.

I love being able to tap into the experience and knowledge on this board. Thanks everyone!