Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
User manual for Toyota overlock? >

User manual for Toyota overlock?

User manual for Toyota overlock?

Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Default User manual for Toyota overlock?

Yardsaling in the pouring rain can lead to some great finds! I picked up a Toyota 3-4 thread overlock model 6700 for $5. It runs and seems to have all of its parts...only thing missing is a manual. I have looked online, and not having much luck. Do most sergers thread the same way? There are diagrams on the machine, so I can probably figure it out, but it needs cleaned and oiled, and I zero knowledge about sergers....other than I have always wanted one for garment sewing!
Thanks for any help....
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 09:51 AM

There's one on ebay but it's not in great shape http://www.ebay.com/itm/Instruction-...item463ad55289

Does it have a diagram inside the door? If so you can probably just follow that for threading. Sergers do have to be threaded in a certain order though. But the manual will explain how to set it up for a rolled hem, flatlocking, etc.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:54 AM

And here's one from Sewusa http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm
Old 06-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Banned

Yes. Let's see if I can remember this without being in front of mine. It's usually right to left. Lower looper, upper looper, right needle, left needle, in that order. If you can find a manual of a similar machine it should help. There are only like 3 serger factories, so most are badged.

Cari

Edit-boy that was fast. In the time it took me to post, everyone else had posted.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Thanks! I assume most sergers operate pretty much the same way. I watched a few YouTube videos and they seem pretty similar. Any suggestions on oiling/ cleaning?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned

I was afraid of mine when I first got it but not so much now. Mine is really old and all metal. It has the oil holes marked, but I use the same guidelines as a vintage sewing machine. I oil everywhere metal moves on metal, run it a bit and wipe off any extra on parts that will come in contact with thread or fabric. They need to be cleaned a LOT, they make more lint and fuzz than any 10 sewing machines.

Cari
Old 06-20-2015, 12:44 PM

From the outside that looks a lot like my Speedylock 34D. I found a free manual at http://www.singerco.com/support/inst...manuals/search
scroll down to WSL 34D
Old 06-20-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57 View Post
From the outside that looks a lot like my Speedylock 34D. I found a free manual at http://www.singerco.com/support/inst...manuals/search
scroll down to WSL 34D
Thank you!!! This is exactly like my machine! I was missing one "split" while threading it, and I wasn't pulling the thread through the tension dials tightly enough....FINALY have stitches! Woohoo! I think the tension is off,-the back doesn't look the same as the front- but I need some time to figure out which thread needs corrected. Thanks sooooo much! Xo!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Woohoo! I think the tension is off,-the back doesn't look the same as the front- but I need some time to figure out which thread needs corrected. Thanks sooooo much! Xo!
Congrats on getting stitches! I solved the problem of figuring out which thread needed to be corrected by putting a different color thread on each tension thread. By doing that, I finally figured out which of my loopers needed adjusting, and by how much. Hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 AM

I actually did use 4 diff color threads....but I am struggling with the tension. Top loop looks more like a teardrop, and back loop looks like a "v"... I am going to do some cleaning and add a few drops of oil to the metal working parts, and try to figure this out! this is probably not the appropriate board to post these tension questions tho! Thanks everyone-once again, you came through big time!