Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Veneer top

Unhappy Veneer top

My Singer machine has a crinkled top where Mema put potted plants on it, is there any way to flatten that out and refinish it? It has about two circles on it.

Are the water damaged areas split where they puckered up? If so get a plastic credit card or business card and use that to work some glue under the puckered up veneer. Then put some wax paper over it and then another piece of thicker wood with a heavy weight on top.
    I've done that with several problem areas on cases and a Singer cabinet. So far it's worked well.

Joe

What kind of glue do you use, Joe?

Elmer's Carpenter's Woodglue Max. The one that's water resistant when it dries. It's stainable when dry.
    The reorder # on the back is E7300 for the 8oz bottle.

Joe

I was going to suggest that she put a hot iron it and see if the glue will melt (soften .. If I'm right, the old glue they used at the factory was a "hide" glue and went on hot when it was firstt applied

Blog Entries
    I agree with Corazone... A hot iron (use a towel between it and the wood) should soften the glue and then put a weight on it to hold it down until it cools and is dry again.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

It never occurred to me to use a credit card to get the glue under puckered veneer. Thanks Joe. It also did not occur to me to use a hot iron to soften the glue. Thanks Charlee. But I had thought of using a veterinary syringe and needle (BIG fat needles) to inject the glue under the raised areas of lifted veneer. I have not done it yet, gotta find my old syringes and needles.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    It never occurred to me to use a credit card to get the glue under puckered veneer. Thanks Joe. It also did not occur to me to use a hot iron to soften the glue. Thanks Charlee. But I had thought of using a veterinary syringe and needle (BIG fat needles) to inject the glue under the raised areas of lifted veneer. I have not done it yet, gotta find my old syringes and needles.
    I would go with the iron first. Nothing ventured ..... If that doesn't work then the glue.

To use the syringe wouldn't you have to thin the glue out? Even with big needles?

Most off the veneer I've glued back on seems to be devoid of glue. The pieces with glue, well, it didn't occur to me to use heat. Next time I have one I'll try it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    To use the syringe wouldn't you have to thin the glue out? Even with big needles?

Most off the veneer I've glued back on seems to be devoid of glue. The pieces with glue, well, it didn't occur to me to use heat. Next time I have one I'll try it.

Joe
    Yes Joe, I do think the glue may need thinning. But it is worth the experiment. Gotta find those syringes and needles and do some experimenting on one of the cabinets where the veneer has lifted where it meets another piece.
    Sweet Caroline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast