Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage 301 Singer Sewing Machine Question >

Vintage 301 Singer Sewing Machine Question

Vintage 301 Singer Sewing Machine Question

Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Thx for all this info! This board is the greatest. I really want the 301 long bed. I first wanted a featherweight but after much research, I thought I would start with the workhorse! I am all over ebay and craigs list. Sorry to hear about your roof, Kathy. We are staying dry so far. We plan on raking the roof tomorrrow-would you believe that you would have to rake your roof. Thx Billy & Kathy,
Peace & Blessings
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Cathy how are you able to stay dry? is it the snow drifts that are making it leak or what.
Billy
Well, instead of a treadle sewing machine in my bathroom :mrgreen: I have an umbrella in my bathroom.... :lol: :roll: to use so we don't get sprinkled while we tinkle :oops: :-D

Actually, it's the ice dams that form along the edges of the roof that causes the problems with leaking in the house. Once the dam is formed the snow that melts, further up the roof, has nowhere to go but back up and then under the shingles. There has been a lot of roof collapses in my area of Massachusetts this past week and we are expecting more snow tomorrow.

A local forecast
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122196[/ATTACH]

Another local forecast...LOL!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122197[/ATTACH]

Ice dam at edge of roof. This is the front of my house (please excuse where my dog has scratched the paint off the house...lol. The dams in the back of the house are much larger and they are the ones that are causing a problem.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122211[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122191.jpe   attachment-122192.jpe   attachment-122206.jpe  
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711
Thx for all this info! This board is the greatest. I really want the 301 long bed.
The first 301 that I bought was a long bed. I liked the way the long beds looked but then I found out that only the short beds will fit into a cabinet so now I also like my short beds, especially since I bought one in a cabinet (CL for $50!!), so now they can take turns in it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Cathy how are you able to stay dry? is it the snow drifts that are making it leak or what.
Billy
Well, instead of a treadle sewing machine in my bathroom :mrgreen: I have an umbrella in my bathroom.... :lol: :roll: to use so we don't get sprinkled while we tinkle :oops: :-D

Actually, it's the ice dams that form along the edges of the roof that causes the problems with leaking in the house. Once the dam is formed the snow that melts, further up the roof, has nowhere to go but back up and then under the shingles. There has been a lot of roof collapses in my area of Massachusetts this past week and we are expecting more snow tomorrow.
Well now I am going to have to get another laptop Cathy!! I just spit coffee all over it! I love the forecast that you guys have and the weather man and I could get along really well!!

But I think I would get me a stick or something and start beating ice of the side of the house. Heck that would be fun for me but then I would probably sit outside with hot buttered rum and shoot them off with the old Red Ryder!!

Billy
Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 AM

Kathy, I am sending you a pm. Love the weather report. I guess this sums up NE winter weather this year.
Nancy
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 PM

that is a great idea! Body shop paint for 301, you are just so clever! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM

you are so true one leads to the tan the black and so on love this machine I have a sapphire from viking and my 301 runs soooo much better