Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ with vintage 301 Singer Sewing Machine

I'm learning to FMQ and would like to use a 301a vintage sewing machine. I bought a FMQ foot (slant shank) and tried to use it this morning with no luck. All I get are long stitches, no stitches and a lot of puckering of the fabric. Anyone using this machine for this purpose?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this. I also want to know. I've heard they are really nice for it but I haven't tried on mine yet.

I love my vintage sewing machines. I'm able to FMQ on my 201-2's (i have 3 of those) and would also like to use the 301, which is a really good machine, also. I have a Necchi Supernova Bu, which I really like, but can't find high shank attachments that will work on it. I really hope someone can give us some help with the 301.

Have you dropped the feed dogs? I haven't tried my 301 for FMQ but will soon.

I covered the feed dogs with an index card and also tried it w/o the index card and with the same results.

This is the first question I ask myself when this happens, because it's frequently the answer for me, and it's almost so simple it's scary- do you have the presser foot down? When my quilting foot is on the machine, it's the single thing I frequently forget to do. and the results is a loopy scary mess underneath.

(If you are smarter than I am, and of course you checked that, please ignore.)

Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    I covered the feed dogs with an index card and also tried it w/o the index card and with the same results.
    I feed dogs on the 301 will lower for FMQ...

There is a darker coloured screw under the extension bed of the machine.Turn it as far as it will go,away from you and that will lower your feed dogs. Also try putting your stitch regulator in between the forward and reverse settings. Once you get going, I think you will like FMQ on your 301.
    She's my favourite machine for FMQ but a close second is my old Hudson's Bay Badged machine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for asking that question! I also have a 301 that I hope to learn how to FMQ on. Just need have it serviced first. I am bookmarking this to help me later.

Thanks! I just found one at a sale too!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the information

Another fact that this site is wonderful!

(from another 301 owner!)(maybe we should start a club!)

I just bought a 301 and still have alot to learn with FMQ. I bought the free motion foot and have been practicing. I'm pleased with the results. The 301 does so much better than my Viking machine.

redvette54, where did you get your free motion foot for your 301? I just purchased a slant shank free motion foot from Jenny from Sew Classic and I wondered if that was causing the problem, although this foot is specifically for the 301 and does fit. I've tried all the other suggestions with no change in the stitching. I'm not giving up because I love sewing on the 301.

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    Are you using a darning plate? It only has a hole for the needle and covers the feed dogs. I hear you can use this and a darning foot? I've never done it though.

Quote Originally Posted by sewred
    Are you using a darning plate? It only has a hole for the needle and covers the feed dogs. I hear you can use this and a darning foot? I've never done it though.
    You don't need to cover the feed dogs. They lower for FMQ.
    You can purchase a darning foot for the 301 on Ebay. I also purchased a walking foot for the 301 on Ebay.

featherweight: Is the darning foot and the free motion foot one in the same?

Lynn, They are different feet the one on the left is the walking foot. The one on the right is a darning foot. Mine is plastic, it works fine but I would rather have a metal one. I am always afraid that I will break the plastic.

Left, Walking foot- Right, Darning foot.
    Name:  Attachment-119741.jpe
Views: 243
Size:  37.0 KB

featherweight, I have similar ones. My free motion foot is also plastic, but fits the machine well, I just can't get the machine to stitch properly when trying to FMQ. My walking foot is also like yours. I have a variety of vintage sewing machines and have one (201-2) that free motions well, it's just the others I can't seem to be able to make work properly. I guess I just have to keep trying.

featherweight, I have similar ones. My free motion foot is also plastic, but fits the machine well, I just can't get the machine to stitch properly when trying to FMQ. My walking foot is also like yours. I have a variety of vintage sewing machines and have one (201-2) that free motions well, it's just the others I can't seem to be able to make work properly. I guess I just have to keep trying.
    I have only used the 301 several times to FMQ. It seemed to do ok. I do almost all of my quilting on my Pfaff 7570.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    There is a darker coloured screw under the extension bed of the machine.Turn it as far as it will go,away from you and that will lower your feed dogs. Also try putting your stitch regulator in between the forward and reverse settings. Once you get going, I think you will like FMQ on your 301.
    She's my favourite machine for FMQ but a close second is my old Hudson's Bay Badged machine.
    Thanks so much for this tip, set the stitch regulator, my stitches really looked so much better, thanks again

If you have it mastered on the 201-2, Keep on truckin on it. LOL

Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    Thank You soooo much for the post on how to lower the feed dogs on the 301, I use mine but never tried fm with it cause I didn't know you could lower the feed dogs. I will try it.