Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 471 of 561 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 470 471 472 481 521 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 5608

Thread: Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

  1. #4701
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    105
    Mega gross............with just a touch of a sob escaping my soul for the poor machine that once was!

  2. #4702
    Senior Member Cecilia S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    523
    Oh how sad. The seller says "Don't no (sic) if it works." No kidding.


  3. #4703
    Senior Member manicmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
    Oh how sad. The seller says "Don't no (sic) if it works." No kidding.
    He was being economical with words, including the word "no". I'd give him $50 just to watch him plug it in!
    My Singers: Model 12 (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Model 15 (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 66 Lotus (1922), 96k41 (1949), 96k41 (1947), 103k (1950), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 319k, 320k2, 401a, 411g
    Others: Necchi Supernova Ultra 2, Climax, Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Bernina Record 830, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260

  4. #4704
    Senior Member Cecilia S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    523
    A word to defend the people who convert old treadle tables into desks etc; while it is sad to think of it no longer being a sewing machine, I think that if a treadle stand/cabinet or machine table is otherwise destroyed, it is great that they are re-used, re-purposed, and given new life.

    I don't think that all iron bases/cabinets-turned-home-decor should necessarily be milk-painted with the same brushes of disdain. ;-) I have seen a few (natural wood, oak, nicely refinished) that are tastefully done (read: not festooned with pumpkin and roses applique...), and I certainly think that this is a better thing than letting it rust as lawn decor, or go to scrap.

    Just a thought.

  5. #4705
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,241
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    be sure to email Rain and let him know your thoughts - he is also a QB member
    Someone else usually has mentioned the same things in the comments on his posts.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 503J, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99k, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Ultralock 14u64a (Serger), Pfaff 130-6, and a Kangaroo coming Nov 2013.

  6. #4706
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
    A word to defend the people who convert old treadle tables into desks etc; while it is sad to think of it no longer being a sewing machine, I think that if a treadle stand/cabinet or machine table is otherwise destroyed, it is great that they are re-used, re-purposed, and given new life.

    I don't think that all iron bases/cabinets-turned-home-decor should necessarily be milk-painted with the same brushes of disdain. ;-) I have seen a few (natural wood, oak, nicely refinished) that are tastefully done (read: not festooned with pumpkin and roses applique...), and I certainly think that this is a better thing than letting it rust as lawn decor, or go to scrap.

    Just a thought.
    I agree. I know of one treadle that the wood is so destroyed it looks like a paperback book that was dropped in the tub then dried out. The owner took the machine out, put it on display and the irons are waiting to be sandblasted (They're more orange brown than black for the same reason the wood looks like it does) and used for something else.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 503J, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99k, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Ultralock 14u64a (Serger), Pfaff 130-6, and a Kangaroo coming Nov 2013.

  7. #4707
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    918
    Mark

  8. #4708
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    He was being economical with words, including the word "no". I'd give him $50 just to watch him plug it in!
    Me too....can I come and watch...can I, can I?

  9. #4709
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    2,577
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    I am officially in sewing machine lust!!!!!!!!!!
    Through Christ who strengthens me, I can do all things. - Paul
    I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I committed unto Him against that Day. - Paul
    Chris, servant to three demanding cats

  10. #4710
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    11,136
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    I am officially in sewing machine lust!!!!!!!!!!
    Me, too. I can't bear to look again..........
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 471 of 561 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 470 471 472 481 521 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.