Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Blog Entries
    Wow nice bunch of machines! Electro grand was made by Brother. At least mine was. It has Brother stampings on the bottom and on the hand wheel.
    I am not the expert Cari is on Japanese machines. I have a couple dress maker machines some I love and some not so much. One I replaced the zig zag gear when the plastic gave. You may have a plastic cam stack on that dressmaker. Read through the above stuff for more info on the camstacks. Check to see if it is cracked. Oil is your friend.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Not all Electro Grand machines were built by Brother, I don't think this one is. My chart doesn't have a manufacturer listed for JA21. Nice machine, I like the clean lines of it.

Cari

Blog Entries
    I want a chart. Where did you get a chart? Is it in the resource section?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I want a chart. Where did you get a chart? Is it in the resource section?
    I'll PM you with mine when I get home.

Cari

Miriam I've sent you a PM.

Cari

I just found a sewing machine just like this one. Do you know how much it's worth. They want $100 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by suzawe123 View Post
    I just found a sewing machine just like this one. Do you know how much it's worth. They want $100 for it.
    The short answer is it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Now here's the long answer - What condition it's in, whether it's been serviced recently, case or cabinet, whether the manual and accessories are with it, what part of the country, how rare the model is(most aren't), what color it is, how bad the seller really wants to sell it, what day of the week it is, what phase the moon is in, depends on who you ask, etc...all can be part of determining what a sewing machine is worth. Only you can decide how much you're willing to spend.

Cari

Follow up and Cari's value comment.

Level of advertising is a huge factor too. Last weekend I went chasing a Rocketeer. CL listing under garage sale. "sewing machine" was the second fuzzy picture. Nothing to even indicate Singer unless you were a fan. It was in a town of 300. 15 miles away from the nearest stoplight. And the actual sale was a "make an offer" sale at a motorcycle shop. Seller didn't know what he had. All factors in my favor. I made an offer for the 500 in a cabinet with manuals and two sets of cams. He upped my offer by $5.00. Bingo.. oh wait. my GF was faster with her money. Giggle. I won't tell you the purchase price, but it would make many of you groan. Someday I'll have to get a pic of her 500 by my 503.

Leon

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37