Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which vintage machine do you prefer for piecing? >

Which vintage machine do you prefer for piecing?

Which vintage machine do you prefer for piecing?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 AM

Currently, my favorite machine for piecing is a Necchi BU.

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
If it will do 20 stitches to the inch, then I will need to find a piecing foot. Do you know where I might find that?

Can you do straight line quilting with your Kenmores? Can you do free motion quilting? Also, would you know if there is an easy way to get the top off the machine so I can finish servicing it?

Thanks,
Cricket
Cricket,

I have a 158.17012. It is one of my most recent acquisitions and has some issues so I put it aside for a while until I'm less annoyed about it. If yours is like mine, it's a super-high shank foot. You might have difficulty finding a piecing foot and darning/embroidery foot. There is an adapter for a super-high to low shank foot available at Sew Classic and she also carries a walking foot for super-high shank although it seems expensive to me. Apparently, there is a darning/free motion foot available elsewhere but it's pricey and also requires an additional adapter (can't remember where I read that but can look for it if you're interested). I purchased my machine from a quilter who had found it on Craigslist but couldn't find a free motion foot for it.

YMMV

John
Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 AM

I have my FW set up to be my piecing machine. One of my thrift store sewing boxes had this really neat tool in it a Dot Young Seam Guide and the Giganticus foot shown next to the normal foot in one of the pics below! I have the guide attached to my FW. I have played with it using some scrap and I think it is going to work beautifully. You can still find these vintage seam guides on ebay and elsewhere. I was lucky as mine came with all of the original paperwork and packaging. I am still researching the 'scant quarter' versus the 1/4" and trying to decide exactly where I want to setup the seam guide. The FW sews beautiful stitches and runs like a mini locomotive!

I also have my Supernova, 99K, 15-91 and 300 Morse to name a few that might also be good for piecing but it is kinda hard to know what to be looking for as a newbie. Maybe after piecing a few quilts on the FW then I should compare? But having a selection of vintage sewing machines I fixed and cleaned up and that are at my disposal is REALLY fun!!

I used to smirk at people like Jay Leno with all of those cars!! What the heck can they do with so many cars???
Well now I know..LOL
Attached Thumbnails img_5427.jpg   img_5428.jpg   img_5424.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Thank you, John. I was given the Kenmore by someone who no longer wanted it, and don't have all the feet, etc. I'm lucky to have the manual.

What issues is your Kenny having?

Sunflowerzz, that is a GREAT seam guide, best I've ever seen. You have a l-o-n-g straight edge to guide fabric and you can turn it around and use it for curves or making clothing. It's adjustable and versatile. You lucked out with that one!

Cricket
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Thanks Cricket I forgot it also does curves. I am so not there yet..too skeered
Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Ah Sunflowerzz, me dearie :-) too bad you and I aren't closer. I'd be happy to "unskerred" you. I've got over 50 years of sewing experience to share.

Cricket
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Littlebearquiltingboard View Post
Mike, I need to get my 15 out and try it for piecing. When it was out it was great for free motion. I'm hoping to get it set up in it's treadle this weekend.

I had a Pinnock which I sold and I am thinking that that would have been a very good machine for piecing if I had given it half a chance.
I've had several Pinnocks but all are gone now. They were fantastic for everything I threw at them (although that was just dress making and FME) and had vertical bobbins. Oh, and I sold them, they never broke down.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Ah Sunflowerzz, me dearie :-) too bad you and I aren't closer. I'd be happy to "unskerred" you. I've got over 50 years of sewing experience to share.

Cricket
Thank you very much, I could sure use some sewing wisdom. If I ever get out your way to visit relatives in New Hampshire I'll give you a holler.
Lorraine
Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 AM

SunflowerZZ,

Your Giganticus foot is the same as my Gigantifooticus. It is only the second one I've seen and I have the first.
Here's a thread I did on Gigantifooticus some time ago: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t186875.html }

I'll have to keep my eyes pealed for one of those fabric guides. I have a bunch of them in different shapes but I don't have one like yours.

Joe
Old 05-23-2014, 06:28 PM

Thanks Joe I will go read that thread. I am anxious to try out that foot on something thick and bulky! The dot guide is really nice and well made.