Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which machine do you prefer? >

which machine do you prefer?

which machine do you prefer?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Talking which machine do you prefer?

I am looking for a new machine to be able to quilt using my quilting frame, therefore I need a machine that has a wide throat. The Janome Horizon has an 11 inch throat space and the Brother INNOV-IS3000 and 11.5 throat space. Both look pretty good but am unable to view these machines and don't wish to spend a lot of money on something sight unseen. Can any member give me a comparison or opinion please. Thoughts would be most appreciated indeed

Quiltykiwi
Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 PM

I have one of the brother v-series machines and to me it is no competition between the horizon and it. I would choose the brother for the muvit foot which to me is more versatile because it has its own motor and differential. Iknow thw feet are more central on the brother and less clunky, but if you want the walking foot built in that is the main difference between the two is you have to attach the dual feed on the brother, but without demoing it in person its really hard to explain the benefits of the muvit foot over the built in accufeed or IDT type systems. The only thing that I haven't loved about my v-series machine is that it weighs a ton, not suitable for classes, a pain in the but to move, but it is a quality machine. I love love mine.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 PM

I have the Janome Horizon 8900 and while I love it for piecing and sewing, it would not be my choice for a frame. Have you considered any of the Juki's? I would think they might be less finicky as far as tension goes and I believe they'll give you even more room at a much lower price.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 PM

I have a Janome Horizon 7700 and absolutely love it. I purchased it to use on a quilting frame and the machine performed well. Unfortunately, I found that an old shoulder injury prevented me from doing a lot of free motion work and upgraded to a computerized longarm. I hope you are happy with whatever you decide to purchase.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 PM

I use a juki on my frame. Having measured them all new juki's came out at 11 inches although some don't look it.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Administrator

if you plan to use the machine only on your frame, i'd recommend you search for one of the make/models designed especially for long-arm quilting. it's likely that you could find one of those with a larger harp/throat for the same price or less than either of the two models you're considering now.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:50 AM

I have a Horizon and I used it daily. But, for a frame, why not find a straight stitch only machine?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I have a Horizon and I used it daily. But, for a frame, why not find a straight stitch only machine?
I have the Horizon and I agree with justflyin - why put that extra money in a many stitch machine when a straight stitch suits your purpose better? There are a few machines you can look at with even bigger throats - isn't Juki coming out with a longer throat? I LOVE my Juki's. Or I tried the Babylock Jewel (I think that's the name). It was a nice machine and had a 16 or 18" throat.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 AM

I have an 8900 and a V-series Brother ... I wouldn't buy either specifically for a frame. I would maybe use the 8900 on a frame if I already had the machine, but to go out and buy one for that purpose? No. I would buy a straight stitch Juki or Brother for that purpose.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 AM

Why not just spend the money on a machine with quite a bit larger throat, for about the same price or less by getting a Bailey, http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/i.html