Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage machine enthusiasts,   a question  please >

Vintage machine enthusiasts, a question please

Vintage machine enthusiasts, a question please

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM

Why would your mother throw it away before giving it to you?I would think she would want to keep it in the family. I just learned that my mother has an old singer (featherweight I'm hoping) of my grandmothers that if she can dig it out of the bottom of her closet I can have it. Whoo Hoo!!!! The one machine that I would love to have but never will is my other grandmothers treadle. As a kid I used to sit on the floor and pump the treadle with my hands while my grandmother pieced quilts. But one of my dads sisters took the machine when my grandmother passed so theres no hope for me getting it, even though I am the only quilter left in the family.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 AM

its a long story but basically if its anything I would treasure she'd throw it away or give it to someone else rather than me. She let me have my grandfather's dresser years ago and has fussed about me "taking" it ever since. As much as I would love the machine its not worth the hassle. I'm just waiting on her to ask me for my Grandmother's machine.....that was given to me by my Grandmother over 20 years ago....
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM

So sorry for you, I inherited an old oak dresser that I was the 7th generation in my mothers family to get it, it was my dresser (in my bedroom) when I was growing up and an old oak bed that was my grandmothers. Of course I was 43 before my mother thought I was "settled down" enough to bring them to my house. I just gave the bed to my oldest daughter she will get the dresser when I can get it to her. I want to see her enjoy it and share any family history I can with her. My youngest daughter has now inherited my "quilting gene" so she will inherit my machines. I just got a Minnesota treadle (photos in the vintage shop, page 64 I think) I plan to practice on Miss Minnie then teach youngest to use and love it.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Its nothing I'm not used to at this point in life but thanks. My Grandmother raised me until I was 3 and I guess that I bonded with her more...my mother was always jealous of our relationship. My youngest dd has already been promised my Grandmother's machine. She's 11 and her eyes just lit up at the thought. She's already made a quilt for her bed and loves sewing.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Ginnie, that is so sad. My mom was not a big giver either, but she was not spiteful. She just wanted to keep everything she had.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:15 PM

So, are there certain machines to stay away from and others to look for?

Are some machines basically boat anchors and some worth saving no matter what they look like now? What about parts? Are parts impossible to find for some machines, making them good for display only? I would love to know what to look for.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Actually, the only vintage machine I ever wanted was an old treadle Singer. I just love how the metalwork of the treadle looks. Now I finally have one. Also have my grandmother's old Montgomery Ward in the basement but I don't think that qualifies as vintage (how old is old enough to qualify as "vintage").
I too would like to have a treadle machine. I learned to sew on a Singer treadle machine when I was a child. I wish I knew when my mother got rid of hers. I would love to have it but might not have felt that way at the time. I was not quilting then. One thing about a treadle machine, you can still sew if the power goes out. They were very reliable machines.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
its a long story but basically if its anything I would treasure she'd throw it away or give it to someone else rather than me. She let me have my grandfather's dresser years ago and has fussed about me "taking" it ever since. As much as I would love the machine its not worth the hassle. I'm just waiting on her to ask me for my Grandmother's machine.....that was given to me by my Grandmother over 20 years ago....
Sounds like My mother.....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Google Goddess

wow, awesome, please post pictures for us to see

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
I think maybe it's 50 years or older. I currently have 19 sewing machines - 9 treadles. ;)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 AM

I would like an old singer treadle, mt Gram had one and I remember her using it, and she would let me sit on her lap. I love them.