Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage machine enthusiasts,   a question  please >

Vintage machine enthusiasts, a question please

Vintage machine enthusiasts, a question please

Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM

I've been reading the Vintage machine thread from the beginning and have to admit that I have been bit by the bug myself. I think I even infected my husband. He even looks for them online now.

I have lots of sewing machines, and do not really need anymore, but, well, you know how that goes. I have bought a Featherweight and a 101-11. I keep looking all the time for more even though I really don't need them. I just love them.

So my question is ........What machine, brand and/or model do you wish you could find? I know we all want Featherweights, that is a given, but which brands,models or types are best to have? Or worth having. Is rarity a factor?

I really want to try to only get machines I can eventually use, not just have sitting around because they are pretty. I figure I can have both form and function.

I know it depends on what you want to sew with them. So that is something to consider as well.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Actually, the only vintage machine I ever wanted was an old treadle Singer. I just love how the metalwork of the treadle looks. Now I finally have one. Also have my grandmother's old Montgomery Ward in the basement but I don't think that qualifies as vintage (how old is old enough to qualify as "vintage").
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM

(how old is old enough to qualify as "vintage".

I have wondered that myself. I guess it depends on how old we are ourselves.

I would love to have a treadle too. My mom had one, but it was never in working order. The treadle part needed welded or something I guess, but the wood is beautiful. My sister has it and it has a place of honor in her home. She has no desire to ever have it fixed, but just likes it. I have told my sisters that I want mom's old Singer she bought when I was little. I remember her buying it brand new in the late 50's or early 60's. My dad still has it and still uses it for mending. Not sure what model it is.

I love the fact that some of us are saving these old machines from junkyards and restoring them to their original beauty and purpose.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 PM

I think maybe it's 50 years or older. I currently have 19 sewing machines - 9 treadles. ;)
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Pam

I only have 9 machines,one is very old, but the motor is shot. I also have a Singer 99 and my Grandmother's treadle.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
I think maybe it's 50 years or older. I currently have
***19 sewing machines *** - 9 treadles ***. ;)
Phewwww! :lol: That makes ME feel Better! Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katia
how old is old enough to qualify as "vintage".
The definition of vintage in the VSMS (Vintage Sewing Machine Shop) is around 1975. But most of the time the cut off is around the mid sixties.

Billy
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM

I bought a featherweight last year and a Singer 301 recently. Love both. The advantage of the 301 is that it has a reverse lever, you can drop the feed dogs for free motion quilting and is the one of the first gear driven Singers.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM

I have my grandmothers Singer treadle and I have it working. February, we had 3 feet of smow in Wash.DC and no electric for 4 days. Pulled it out by the window and sewed up a storm. It has a beautiful stitch and can go really fast doing "chains". Now, I have re-conditioned it even more, everything is available on ebay and my book on the Featherweight works on the treadle also.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 AM

well I of course would love a featherweight but the machine I want the most is one I will never get.....my great grandmother's treadle. My mother would throw it away before she gave it to me. Oh how I would love to restore that machine. I'm not even sure what kind it is. I remember sitting there pretending to sew on it as a child though. It breaks my heart to think of it sitting there needing oil and not getting any! Other than that I'm not picky. I just feel such a sense of history with the old machines that I love them all. My emachine hasn't been touched in months now. Poor baby.