Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting >

Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting

Vintage Sewing Machine Owners....Your Tutorials are Starting

Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 AM

Billy,
Thank you so much for doing this. I can hardly wait. :-)
Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 AM

Will you include where to buy parts, my ancient Singer treadle needs a belt, at least. It hasn't been used or serviced in at least 20 years.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

thanks so much. I am loving my new old treadle. I'm wondering if you will give info on how to clean/maintain the cast iron treadle assembly? Right now it is very dusty but seems to work fine. I don't want to mess it up by using the wrong products.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 AM

I have a feather weight that is older than old and a stationery in a cabinet that is 1939, there are things I need to k now about it, so thank you very much for this. Thank you Billy.

Rita
Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
I have a feather weight that is older than old and a stationery in a cabinet that is 1939, there are things I need to k now about it, so thank you very much for this. Thank you Billy.

Rita
Post photos of it over in the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop so we can see the cabinet. I hope it is the one that I am thinking of if it is its a $2000 cabinet!!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
thanks so much. I am loving my new old treadle. I'm wondering if you will give info on how to clean/maintain the cast iron treadle assembly? Right now it is very dusty but seems to work fine. I don't want to mess it up by using the wrong products.
Yes I have a "New Home" treadle that needs to be restored and I will include one about that and the maintenance for one. They squeak and clunk around on their best days, but if you do not clean and oil them (and adjust the bolts that hold the moving parts) they will sure enough make some racket!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ardis
Will you include where to buy parts, my ancient Singer treadle needs a belt, at least. It hasn't been used or serviced in at least 20 years.
Yes, I will list the suppliers I go to and I am getting into the parts business for the vintage machine also, so I will stock most of what you might need.

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Thanks Billy. The tute is very clear. I started my diassembly. There are a couple of stuck things so I will let them sit tonight and see if they are loosened up tomorrow. It is the bobbin winder screw and the foot attachment on the stem.

One question for my Davis model. Should I take the stitch length plate off? The knob is attached to a lever underneath but I think there is a teeny set screw that I may have to get a smaller screw driver.
Lisa I would leave the stitch length knob alone and just clean around it. The bobbin winder should come off fairly easily after it soaks a bit in WD-40 or some sort of penetrating oil.

I like the Davis machines they are very well built and they also badged for other makers. Looking forward to seeing the progress photos!!!!

Billy
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 AM

This would certainly give us a better understanding of how a sewing machine works and save us money.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 PM

just home from picking up a green singer, according to the number EN773782, it's a 99K 185K, 50000 were made in Scotland starting August 4, 1958...pick the machine up and an empty sewing cabinet for $29.00 Will post pictures soon. The stitch length plate is gone. Is that something that can be replaced?