Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica, I knew you were treadling that 201!

Well, I am going to pass on the New Home. I talked the owner into lowering his price on Craigslist so he can sell the machine. I have decided to buy the messed up Hales Crescent on Craigslist instead. I talked to the gal that has the Hales Crescent with the broken treadle leg (my DH can weld that) and it is a one family owned machine with the manual and everything. She says it is in good shape, even the cabinet,so we are off to go see it!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2665083502.html

Nancy
Nancy, For $10 that's a great deal! I saw that posting, but I'm to far away. Happy to read that you are going to rescue it.
And lucky you that your husband does welding. Looking forward to seeing better pictures of machine and cabinet.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
testing for photo download. I did it , but now I don't remember how I did it, as I did so many things....
This is the old machine that I have started to use. I think it's a 99.... Well everything was going great as I was free motion sewing on it. Then it started to break the thread and then it broke needles. I'm I trying to do too much with the old machine???? I'm really looking for a machine that will do free motion on, as my 500 has a real hard time with it too?!?!?!
I just found your site and it's so interesting. Thanks.

The better vintage Singer machines for FM quilting are the 15s. You can use your 66 for FM, but most folks find the 15s better for this type of quilting. I have noticed that FM quilting is easier and better with a 15 over a 66 due to the bobbin area and how the thread comes up out of the rotary drive (bobbin area). I only do straight stitch quilting with a 66 -which produces gorgeous stitches.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Nancy; Thanks. I have never found any JA numbers on this one or the one made in Occupied Japan. Both are full size and take a class 66 bobbin. I know these Japanese made machines are supposed to have the JA numbers but will look again at them for more numbers. So I am correct in thinking that it is not a 15 clone? Curiouser and curiouser as Pooh would say.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Chris that is definitely not a 15 clone. From what I have read after WWII we gave Japan the specs to make 15 clones and 99 clones. That looks like a full sized machine? I doubt if that machine is a clone - I never heard of a class 66 clone? Does the serial number start with a JA? Anyway, it is a very nice looking/heavy duty machine.
I have a 99 clone that says "made in occupied Japan," but I haven't found a lot of the 99 clones either. Nancy
It is a full size machine as is the other "Made in Occupied Japan" machine that I have. I have not found any JA or JC numbers on either but haven't looked in a while either. Will look later tonight or tomorrow. So, if it's not's a 15 or a 99, then is it something else? I am just curious & not overly concerned.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I have a 'Federal' and it is a clone - you are right that one isn't a 15 clone though but I bet it is made in Japan.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Monica, I knew you were treadling that 201!

Well, I am going to pass on the New Home. I talked the owner into lowering his price on Craigslist so he can sell the machine. I have decided to buy the messed up Hales Crescent on Craigslist instead. I talked to the gal that has the Hales Crescent with the broken treadle leg (my DH can weld that) and it is a one family owned machine with the manual and everything. She says it is in good shape, even the cabinet,so we are off to go see it!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2665083502.html

Nancy
Well Nancy you must have bought it, because the posting is gone!! Pics, please!! What is a Hales Crescent?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Photo #1 is a seam guide, it attaches to the bed of the machine to butt the edge of your fabric against. Looks like you have a gathering foot there as well.
Photo #2 is a zipper foot

Miriam uses toothpaste to clean the attachments, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to!
Okay, dumb question. Is there some place that shows me how to use these attachments? I thought that maybe the attachment on the right side of photo 1 was like a darning or FM foot. It sort of looks like the one I have for my Brother. I will try silver polish on the bar, see if it cleans it, since it was mentioned. If not, have plenty of toothpaste, lol. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Default Style-O-Matic attachment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]283822[/ATTACH]Ok, this is it....It supposedly replaces a bunch of our attachments.
Attached Thumbnails sam_1242.jpg   sam_1244.jpg  

Last edited by justtrish; 11-08-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: photo to big
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
Hello everyone!!!

I just want to say that since I have become a member in this community I have felt very welcome and honored to be able to get to know you all and I have met some really wonderful people and have made quite a few friends!!

Everyone here by now knows that I love old machines especially treadles and somehow you guys find me the go to guy for answers to you questions.

Every day I hop on to see what is going on and I have tons of PM's in my folder waiting on me to help out with your vintage machines. I am NOT complaining a drop, believe me I really appreciate the fact that you respect me enough to want to ask your questions and I REALLY enjoy helping you all out. Plus I get to see some really neat machines that you guys own!!!!

Now I am far from an expert by no means, but you know I will do everything I can to find the answers for you or point you to someone who does know the answers. I have tons of records, manuals and parts list stored on my HD plus the stacks of factory documents sitting in front of me that could help a lot of us out with our machines.

SO...........I am going to do a PDA just for asking questions, posting photos and just a nice place to hang out, but if it really takes off who knows the administrator might set up a corner just for the vintage machines.

But I was thinking that if we had a special area to go to ask questions and post photos it might would help some else that may have the same question. To me there is nothing more special that to make a quilt on a vintage machine.

So if you like Vintage machines and you want to come to the shop and hang out with us then feel free to do so!!!

Billy
Billy: This is Linda again ! ! ! ! I am still looking for the 221K Featherweight, Red S, and 221K gold plaque under the Singer Badge. Do you have one or do you have any idea where I can find one in really good condition? I would love to find this little lady before Christmas if at all possible but could wait to get a really good one. Please let me know if you have one.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Found this listing on CL http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2692010865.html
Artistic Sewing Cabinet??