Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2902 of 4419 FirstFirst ... 1902 2402 2802 2852 2892 2901 2902 2903 2912 2952 3002 3402 3902 ... LastLast
Results 29,011 to 29,020 of 44190

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    While reading a different thread here in QB, I discovered that my Standard can be set up to do chain stitching.
    So, I googled Standard sewing machine and chain stitching. Found that the gadget needed to produce a chain stitch is called a spider. Also, found an image of the spider, along with manual to purchase. So, I look in my draw that has the attachments...yup I got it. But I'm cheap, won't purchase a manual. So, I look at the gadget and figure out how it slips into the rotary, bobbin area. Slowly turn the wheel...to discover that it works!
    Name:  IMG_4015.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  802.6 KB Name:  IMG_4021.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  1.90 MBName:  IMG_4017.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  1.61 MB
    If anyone comes across a Standard, buy it. Sweet machines!

well that is totally cool! Does anyone know if Singer had a similar gadget for their machines?

Joann

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCDA View Post
    well that is totally cool! Does anyone know if Singer had a similar gadget for their machines?

Joann
    touch and sew had something - the German 401 and 411 is suppose to
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    While reading a different thread here in QB, I discovered that my Standard can be set up to do chain stitching.
    So, I googled Standard sewing machine and chain stitching. Found that the gadget needed to produce a chain stitch is called a spider. Also, found an image of the spider, along with manual to purchase. So, I look in my draw that has the attachments...yup I got it. But I'm cheap, won't purchase a manual. So, I look at the gadget and figure out how it slips into the rotary, bobbin area. Slowly turn the wheel...to discover that it works!
    Ooooh, that looks like hand embroidery - I love it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! If you find one for sale, BUY IT! They are fun machines with cool mechanics. I'm amazed at what can be done and how well they sew through layers of fabrics. I find myself wanting to share my sewing projects from this machine and other vintage machines with folks here. They, Davis VF, need to be rescued and used- along with other fantastic vintage ladies and gents.
    Well folks, I saw this on out CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/2729752864.html, and got excited hoping it could be the one I'm looking for. I finally called since he's not responding to email. It has a long bobbin. At first he said it does have the feed dogs, but looked at it while I was talking to him and realized it doesn't.

He said he's not real technical and can't send or post any pictures. I told him I'd have to find out from my friends what else I need to ask to figure out if this is what I'm looking for. It's about 80 miles away from me, and I'd have to figure out how to get it home.

Is the fact that it has no feed dogs, a long bobbin and is a Davis make it what I'm looking for?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Celeste; 12-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x View Post
    Ooooh, that looks like hand embroidery - I love it!
    It does, doesn't it?
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    Well folks, I saw this on out CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/2729752864.html, and got excited hoping it could be the one I'm looking for. I finally called since he's not responding to email. It has a long bobbin. At first he said it does have the feed dogs, but looked at it while I was talking to him and realized it doesn't.

He said he's not real technical and can't send or post any pictures. I told him I'd have to find out from my friends what else I need to ask to figure out if this is what I'm looking for. It's about 80 miles away from me, and I'd have to figure out how to get it home.

Is the fact that it has no feed dogs, a long bobbin and is a Davis make it what I'm looking for?

Thank you!
    Absolutely!! That is, if you're looking for one like we have....yes. This would be the one!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Dang it Monica...now I have to have a Standard too! With a spider.

~sigh~
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I ordered some 20x1 needles from SewClassic only to be told they don't have them. Whaaaaaaaa Sniff, sniff.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Monica, that is a very pretty chain stitch! I never heard of a spider? Leave it to you to discover something new for us all to pine over! I am with Charlee - I want a Standard now too! You know the Wilcox and Gibbs does a very pretty chain stitch too!

Nancy