Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 AM

Nothing to do with me. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hsh/2827400124.html
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by lee231 View Post

Ohhh nice price!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 AM

Wow, great deal!~

Nancy
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I do not recommend using this oil as sewing machine oil to lubricate any sewing machine. However it can be used to clean the old solidified oil from the machine parts. When this oil evaporates it will leave a residue that can build up and dirt will stick to it. Unlike a tractor motor it does not get hot enough to burn the residue off parts. I also do not recomend any product with silicon in it for the same reason. As Miriam said I use clock oil which is a synthitic sperm whale oil as the manufactures of this vintage machine recomends. It is a light oil that will evaporate slowly. We oil clocks one a year with this oil and they run all year with no problem. If you do not want to buy clock oil which is not cheap only use sewing machine oil that is of good quality.
Ok Glenn, I have a question. How do we know we are getting good quality sewing machine oil? I know not to use rancid oil - oil that has turned dark over years, but how do we know we are purchasing a good quality oil?

Nancy
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Home again! Not much out there today that could come home with me...picked up a buttonholer at Goodwill for $4. Saw a GREAT 319 in a cabinet with the bench, just a bit too spendy for us tho...had a TON of stuff in the drawers and bench tho.
Then..at one antique store, an awesome 1912 Singer 115 with Gold Wing decals in a model 22 drawing room cabinet. They wanted a mere $500, so I didn't even get to say "I want"! LOL Again, the drawers were packed with stuff...I almost cried leaving that one behind...if I couldn't buy it, I just wanted to curl up beside it and spend a night or two....
For the most part, the day was a bust tho....not many machines there, and attachments were non-existent!
Charlee, it sounds like you at least had fun, and that buttonholer for $4 was great. I saw one the other day in an antique store here with a price tag of $35 on it!

Nancy
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Candace, that table is the BOMB!!! I have seen several FW tables, but only 1 other 301 table. Good for you!! It's great!!
Geeze, Janice how did you come by 'several' featherweight tables? You are sitting on a gold mine - those are so hard to find in good shape!

Nancy
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
This makes me sad.... I saw her on CL this morning and thought.. that which she is coveted for has been ruined. Someone wanted to clean her and didn't know what to use.... she can be had for only $29.00

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/art/2823986758.html

Last edited by justtrish; 02-01-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
This makes me sad.... I saw her on CL this morning and thought.. that which she is coveted for has been ruined. Someone wanted to clean her and didn't know what to use.... she can be had for only $29.00

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/art/2823986758.html
This is why I only use sewing machine oil to clean my machines. Some think they are removing dirt, only to find that the decals are silvered and gone. Poor thing! Maybe someone will pick her up for a repainted; gussy her all up to make her pretty.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
It is top of my list now...now that I have gotten past the Quilt show. I have to find the wood I want for the top, and I already have some irons for it..Decorah Posten...so this will be a true Frankenstein setup, but as long as I get to sew on her, I don't care of the cabinet is bright purple and the irons bright green! :-)
So last night on my way home I stopped at Lowe's and got a cut piece of Birch plywood to make the top. It's really got a nice grain to the top. Now maybe I can coax my DH into constructing the top for the treadle.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 AM

What was it? The posting is gone already.