Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3253 of 4396 FirstFirst ... 2253 2753 3153 3203 3243 3252 3253 3254 3263 3303 3353 3753 4253 ... LastLast
Results 32,521 to 32,530 of 43953

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Hello Everyone! Although I visit the Quilting board daily it has been a long time since I have posted anything. But I have news.......Hubby just bought me my very first Featherweight!! soooo excited! Now where do I begin? I would like to clean her inside and out, I know there is information here but I dont know where to start my search. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Oh and her birthday is May 10, 1951. Havent even thought of a name for her yet! We got her at an antique shop on Cape Cod. Any help would be much appreciated! Pictures soon!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    So, after cleaning the race and case on my Singer 201, I started to think if I should have done something similar on my Singer 66-1s. I spent a hour looking for the needed info, and discovered that the machine would benefit on cleaning and replacing the oil wick. This is something that needs to be done on 66s and 99s...unless they are just setting on shelf looking pretty- like mine are now. This may have been talked about before on this thread, but I can't remember it. So, heads up for those that are using their Singer 66 or 99 and have not checked the felt on the oil wick; it may need to be added or replaced.
    so, are you going to do a tutorial on it??????????
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndajean View Post
    Hello Everyone! Although I visit the Quilting board daily it has been a long time since I have posted anything. But I have news.......Hubby just bought me my very first Featherweight!! soooo excited! Now where do I begin? I would like to clean her inside and out, I know there is information here but I dont know where to start my search. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Oh and her birthday is May 10, 1951. Havent even thought of a name for her yet! We got her at an antique shop on Cape Cod. Any help would be much appreciated! Pictures soon!
    here is a link to one my sister and I cleaned up for my mom: The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight feel free to ask questions
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    so, are you going to do a tutorial on it??????????
    YUP!! Plan to do the cleaning tomorrow; so, give me a day or two before tutorial gets posted on QB.
    I just need to do my California and Idaho BOM stars, may get to CA tonight and have Idaho wait.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=melinda1962;5076923]
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Ok...I need help People!! What sounds better?

Well, maybe some cornbread in the new skillet may help. Or "this old thing?"

Or to hear you tell it, your sweet other half will just say, "Good deal, baby!! Is that all they had that you wanted?"
    The cornbread pan goes back out as soon as I find a buyer!! Shouldn't be too hard...I still have connections with the Griswold & Wagner Society!

And yes...he really IS pretty good about what I buy...but he's getting a bit impatient with the sewing machines! He'll frown, for sure, and then help me find someplace to put it!! LOL!
    Thing is...I wanted the cabinet more than I did the machine...I hate the one I painted...so may sell the machine and keep the cabinet for my 201!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Laura,

Are you weighing the case, foot control, and accessories, too?

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    I beg to differ. I have a White 77MG and it weighs upwards of thirty pounds. The Mg body didn't help, much.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Mine is a Domestic and it is really light weight - I forget 12 or 13 lbs. It doesn't sew yet - I haven't fooled with it much - don't know if it is the timing or the carbon unit not figuring out the bobbin threading. I should shoot some pics of 3/4 size machines soon. Trying to get them cleaned up a bit - look better in the photos you know - girls just have to look nice........
    The case, accessories, etc out weigh the machine by a lot - it seems funny that they would put such a light weight machine in such a heavy case. If the case wasn't so nice I would be tempted to figure something else out to make it tote easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndajean View Post
    Congrats!! You are so going to love that FW! If you click on the section title (For Vintage & Antique machine Enthusiasts) you'll see a pinned thread for the videos that Muv made on cleaning vintage machines...her's are all older machines, but the same principles apply!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
    Ohhhh Charlee, am afraid I can't help you out with that, (can't remember if he was standing there when you made that promise) but it is a nice looking machine!!
    Shhhhhhhhhh Margie...he was there, but maybe he won't remember!!

Whoa. That really isn't all that much competition for the FW. Are you sure it's a MG version? I had thought mine was until Cathy told me to check the serial #. And I would guess mine weighs about 30 lbs. and it's NOT the MG version.

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    I beg to differ. I have a White 77MG and it weighs upwards of thirty pounds. The Mg body didn't help, much.