Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3339 of 4372 FirstFirst ... 2339 2839 3239 3289 3329 3338 3339 3340 3349 3389 3439 3839 4339 ... LastLast
Results 33,381 to 33,390 of 43719

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Well, Glenn, we did it. Phil worked on finishing the Vindex Special's finish today. He wanted to do it... He likes that kind of stuff. So here is a before pic.Name:  Singer 503, Vindex and Franklin 013 smaller.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  217.2 KB
    and still in process
    Name:  vindex special refinish makeover 4-9-12 014.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  128.1 KB
    I had to get out - the smell was giving me a head ache. I got it re-assembled - chrome is all cleaned up... I'm thinking it still has some more internal work to go before we go at the finish some more - we wanted to try it though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I went to sew with my Bel Air and it had no needle. It is either a model 33 or 88 can tell which one it is. Doe anyone know what size needle it takes and what side the flat side goes on? Kathie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Charlee with the HC.
    I like this Atlas with its HC, smart idea!

Kathie,

If this is one of the Japanese class 15 imports, the needle will be a standard 15x1.
    And they are usually threaded left to right with the needle's flat to the right.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    I went to sew with my Bel Air and it had no needle. It is either a model 33 or 88 can tell which one it is. Doe anyone know what size needle it takes and what side the flat side goes on? Kathie
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Kathie,

If this is one of the Japanese class 15 imports, the needle will be a standard 15x1.
    And they are usually threaded left to right with the needle's flat to the right.
    Cathy
    Thank you Cathy. Kathie

Blog Entries
    I saw the pics you emailed and it really is begining to look good. Phil is doing a great job on the finish. The decals are really coming out nice. Now to find a screw for the stitch adjustment. I agree it was in rough shape in the bigining. This is going to be a nice machine. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Did I miss where you add the shellac and smooth again?
    Miriam after you have cleaned and smoothed the finish as stated in the tut When it looks the the way you want it then lightly go over the decals with the same method to clean some of the brown shellac off to brighten them up. Now did your wrap rag finger in shellac and add a few drops of linseed oil ane apply in a circular motion to cover the decal with shellac then lightly go in one direction to remove the swirl marks of the shellac. Pick finger up go right to left pick finger up do this until you have removed the swirl marks. You can also go left to right if you like. You can apply shellac this way to the entire machine if you like to shine it up before waxing. Just let the shellac cure a few days before waxing. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Miriam after you have cleaned and smoothed the finish as stated in the tut When it looks the the way you want it then lightly go over the decals with the same method to clean some of the brown shellac off to brighten them up. Now did your wrap rag finger in shellac and add a few drops of linseed oil ane apply in a circular motion to cover the decal with shellac then lightly go in one direction to remove the swirl marks of the shellac. Pick finger up go right to left pick finger up do this until you have removed the swirl marks. You can also go left to right if you like. You can apply shellac this way to the entire machine if you like to shine it up before waxing. Just let the shellac cure a few days before waxing. Skip
    The rag sure did turn brown. Some of the decals were gone from the start. It does look a bunch better. That 'before' picture is after we took off the plumbing clamp that was holding a rigged up light - it was tough on the finish and decals up there. I'm wondering how many times it needs to be gone over?
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    The Vindex's pressure foot lever doesn't do any good - it is stuck up. I don't really know much about the innards of these. I'm learning. I have a good idea how that stitch length works but sure do need a screw.

What makes a machine a 3/4 size? Is it overall size, or a particular length, or just local custom? Laura

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    New post: You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine) lots of projects... please do add pics of your 3/4 size machines.