Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3412 of 4400 FirstFirst ... 2412 2912 3312 3362 3402 3411 3412 3413 3422 3462 3512 3912 ... LastLast
Results 34,111 to 34,120 of 43994

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #34111
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Oooo! I like that one too, but not enough to drive 8 hours round trip for!! The gas alone would cost me $100.
    Aww why not? I've driven to Indy twice for machines and it's a 12 hour round trip minimum. Varrooommmm, beep beep.

    Joe

  2. #34112
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    2,622
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    and I found a manual - each color is a different page
    Attachment 332081
    Miriam; I've seen a manual like that before but cannot remember where. It may even be a machine I have.
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  3. #34113
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    ....When I get the hand wheel drilled i will figure out how to post a picture. Laura
    Laura,

    I know that you’ve already bought the drill bit, but I found that using a grinder worked great to make the notch! I found that a 5/8”-wide grinder wheel makes a perfect notch for the after-market hand wheel finger (w/rubber cushion), at least on an aluminum Singer 185K hand wheel.

    Just grind it s-l-o-w-l-y to keep from getting it too hot, especially when you get to the thinner part of the wheel....

    CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

  4. #34114
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Charlee's treadle will have been made in Watertown NY--a high arm?--before Davis moved to Dayton OH in around 1890. A Davis low arm made in Watertown would have had something like 'Davis SMCo Watertown NY' cast into the pedal. Davis didn't cast the irons themselves but sourced them locally; treadles made after the move to Dayton usually have a foot pedal design that is a simple grid. FWIW!

    pat
    Yep! If you go to my blog, there are posts there with "before" pics, "during pics" and of course the "after" pics...the cabinet was refinished under Skip's tutelage!
    It is a Watertown, NY machine...a high arm.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  5. #34115
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,089
    Charlee,

    I'm hoping to get the serial number of one of the first Davis' made in Dayton, George Huffman's personal SM (the big cheese). I called the Dayton Historical Society and there supposed to get back to me. I'm hoping this will nail down the switch over SN.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/only1tanuki/513799211/

    Jon

  6. #34116
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Yep! If you go to my blog, there are posts there with "before" pics, "during pics" and of course the "after" pics...the cabinet was refinished under Skip's tutelage!
    It is a Watertown, NY machine...a high arm.
    Beautiful restoration! Nice work.

    pat

  7. #34117
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Charlee,

    I'm hoping to get the serial number of one of the first Davis' made in Dayton, George Huffman's personal SM (the big cheese). I called the Dayton Historical Society and there supposed to get back to me. I'm hoping this will nail down the switch over SN.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/only1tanuki/513799211/

    Jon
    Didn't you figure that mine was "on the cusp", or shortly before the move to Dayton, while Janice's machine was shortly after?

    I saw your post on the new Davis list.... and that machine is right purdy!! Are those MOP inlays, do you know?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  8. #34118
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Beautiful restoration! Nice work.

    pat
    Thanks! It wouldn't have happened without Skip, I don't think! Took the spousal unit and I about a week of working on it everyday...it was fun and really satisfying!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  9. #34119
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,089
    Yes, it's mother of pearl and a good looking SM. Your and Janice's Davis' are on the cusp of the move but seperated by 20,000 machines. The value of having the serial number of one of the first machines made in Dayton is that it is an excellent reference point since we know Dayton started production in late '89 or early '90. Plus we could probably figure out whether your machine was made in '88 or '89 (my money's on '89).

    Not that all this is terribly important but I have an awful lot of fun with it.

    Jon



    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Didn't you figure that mine was "on the cusp", or shortly before the move to Dayton, while Janice's machine was shortly after?

    I saw your post on the new Davis list.... and that machine is right purdy!! Are those MOP inlays, do you know?

  10. #34120
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Yes, it's mother of pearl and a good looking SM. Your and Janice's Davis' are on the cusp of the move but seperated by 20,000 machines. The value of having the serial number of one of the first machines made in Dayton is that it is an excellent reference point since we know Dayton started production in late '89 or early '90. Plus we could probably figure out whether your machine was made in '88 or '89 (my money's on '89).

    Not that all this is terribly important but I have an awful lot of fun with it.

    Jon
    Wow, Interesting stuff! Ok Jon can you tell me about what year my Davis Vertical Feed was produced - serial # 767,313?

    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.