Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3747 of 4380 FirstFirst ... 2747 3247 3647 3697 3737 3746 3747 3748 3757 3797 3847 4247 ... LastLast
Results 37,461 to 37,470 of 43792

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

jennb,

Sadly I can't see the pics of your machine. They are soooooooo big my dial up can't open them.

Joe

Blog Entries
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11194101
    What do you all make of this one???
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    jennb,

Sadly I can't see the pics of your machine. They are soooooooo big my dial up can't open them.
    Joe, try looking at them in my photobucket album and hopefully that helps.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v220/kria/

jenn,

Nice old Singer. I see the missing front side plate, what else is missing?

joe

jenn,

Nice old Singer. I see the missing front side plate, what else is missing?

joe
    It has no bobbins or shuttle, and no feet or needle clamp. I think thats all that is missing.

Blog Entries
    chris_quilts, vintagemotif, jennb,
    Thanks for the kind words. I tried to make it understandable without being pompous.

It sews good now, except the tension is still giving me trouble. I hosed the top tension out with break clean this afternoon. Will let that dry out then try again. Joe
    The pomposity meter didn't go crazy so you did good!!!!
    Am I understanding that you hosed out the top tension discs/assembly with brake cleaner? Not criticizing but curious as to the why? I thought dental floss cured almost. if not all, top tension ills with/when gunk being the issue.
    Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Joe, here's an ebay listing for Boye 2 1/2's. Even if you don't want to buy, there's a good close-up of the needles...& if you DO want to buy, this is a very reliable seller.

Jenn,

I have 4 Kenmores I think. A 1930s 117-812 (made by White), the mid 50s 120-491 (problem child), a 158-13470, and the newly acquired 158-523, that Miriam advised me of. The last two made by Maruzen/Jaguar in the 70s I think.

Of the four, only the 120-491 has been problematic. And only because I don't have the correct needles for it. If I could find some Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 1/2 needles I'm sure the problems would simply vanish.

Kenmores are no more or less problematic than any other machines. Mater of fact most of the older Kenmores are made by top of line manufactures and are as good or better than similar vintage Singers.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Looks like a half-size electric chainstitcher, probably related to a similar machine badged Hamilton Ross (?), which is a larger version of the Betsy Ross toy. Can't remember who made them, and my copy of Glenda Thomas is packed away.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    ute!
    I was just looking at that. Kind of remindgs me of the little green western electric ones. Cute! Laura

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    The pomposity meter didn't go crazy so you did good!!!!
    Am I understanding that you hosed out the top tension discs/assembly with brake cleaner? Not criticizing but curious as to the why? I thought dental floss cured almost. if not all, top tension ills with/when gunk being the issue.
    Chris
    Chris,
    The top tension on this machine is made a bit different from the Singers and clones and other Kenmores. Honestly I can't figure out how to take it apart. So, I cleaned it as best I can where the thread passes through and it is clean. But there is still something going on with it so I thought that hosing out the stuff under the numbered cap might flush out anything that could be hanging it up. So I wrapped the machine in a work rag so the break clean would'nt get into too much of it and flushed it out. It's dried over night now so I'll try it today and see what happens.

Joe
    Last edited by J Miller; 08-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.